Chapter 49

Edited:
Word Count: 1284

(Marley's POV)

I let out a cry in pain as the tentacle dug into my side. I knew what was going to happen next, and this time, I was ready.

"Hey, over here, knuckle-head!" I heard someone call. The monster and I both turned and saw Billy holding a mannequin that had on El's clothes.

The beast didn't know that and quickly threw me against a wall. I groaned and slowly pushed myself off of the ground, searching for Billy.

He stood in front of a store, unwavering his stance. The beast lunged an arm forward and grabbed him and the mannequin up, high over the second story of the mall.

"Billy!" I screamed. Billy turned his head slightly and for the first time since I saw him, I watched a genuine smile form on his face. One filled with love, regret, happiness and sadness.

Billy let out a yell as he tossed the mannequin into the monsters mouth, exploding just as it touched his tongue.

The beast roared and swayed back and forth, knocking Billy into a wall harshly while he held him.

I got up to the best of my abilities and tried to walk to the monster again. Someone grabbed my waist and held me in place.

"Billy!" I yelled. Then, the beast fell onto one leg, and then dropped him.

In the time I watched Billy fall, time stood still. His face was sweaty and covered in blood while his eyes rolled into the back of his head.

His arms flailed into the air with the force before it happened. He hit the ground. I lost my memory of the future events days ago. I knew it did.

But this..

This part I remembered.

Because this was the part where Billy died.

The shadow monster completely fell to the ground, lifeless and I knew My dad and Joyce were successful in closing the gate.

I ripped out from the persons arms and staggered towards Billy, sobbing in the process. When I reached Billy I fell beside him.

His eyes were closed and his face was pale. The usual smirk and beautiful tan that were the trademark of Billy Hargrove, were now faded.

"Please..." I cried, touching his face gently.

"Billy, please wake up." I begged. Reaching forward, bringing him into my arms tightly. Billy's body didn't change.

I begged time to just let me see his eyes one more time, his smile, hear his laugh. But it was silent. Everything and everyone was silent as I held Billy's dead body into my chest.

Before I could stop it, a scream of pain and sorrow erupted from my chest, filling the mall with the knowledge of my grief.

"I love you..." I whispered gently, looking down and placing a soft kiss on his lips before I began rocking him.

"Please, let me do it again.." I begged. Then, I looked into the sky.

"Let me do it again!" I screamed.

But nothing changed. So, gently, I placed Billy down on the ground. A familiar gleam caught my eyes and I reached in Billy's jacket to see the crystal I had given him.

It was clear again.

I placed it back in his jacket and stood up. Walking towards the parking lot slowly. Everyone was still staring at me in concern.

"Marley.." Nancy whispered. I stopped walking, standing right beside her. I turned my head to her numbly, but she wasn't looking at me. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion and turned to see what she had been looking at.

My heart dropped.

Billy was starting to sit up slowly. Soft groans left his mouth as he did. I let out a shaky breath that I didn't realize I had been holding.

Billy turned around and I saw his eyes directly meet mine.

"Marley." He said softly. I let out a choked sob before running as best I could towards him. When I reached him, I fell into his arms on the floor.

We both groaned in pain from the force but didn't care enough to linger on the feeling. Billy sighed in relief and held the back of my head tightly.

I cried out and pulled away to look into his eyes, making sure that I was making it up. I sighed again and watched him smile.

"You always have to be the center of attention, don't you?" I scoffed playfully.

Everyone had went outside to get checked on with the cops and the ambulance's. I sat in the mall, staring at the dead beast on the floor.

I didn't want to go outside. Staying in here proved that everything that was happening to me was real. This wasn't some show, and this wasn't some make believe land.

This was all happening to me.

"Hey..." I heard someone call. When I looked up, I saw Billy walking towards me with a limp. I sent him a soft smile as he sat next to me.

"You're an idiot for saving me, by the way." We both chuckled and I shook my head.

"It's my job to be an idiot. It's what I do best." I shrugged.

"Have you talked to Steve?" I raised an eyebrow and turned to him. Billy laughed and patted my hand.

"Do you remember that time that I asked why you liked Harrington and I?" I simply nodded.

"And do you remember what you said?" I nodded again.

"Well, I know that you've had a hard time choosing between Harrington and I for whatever reason...but I just wanted to tell you that you made your decision months ago. You've always known, and you knew when I asked you."

"I don't understand..." Billy sighed and looked forward, staring at the monster on the ground.

"Whenever anything dangerous happens, whether it's something wrong with the kids or something minor..you come to me for comfort." I nodded slowly.

Billy turned to me.

"But you go to Steve whenever something is wrong with you. He'll always be your safe place, your taste of the American dream. With me, you feel like how you've always felt, an orphan. But, with Steve, you have a family." I frowned and scanned his face to try and read his emotions.

"You love me, Marley. But, you're in love with Steve. You need to tell him because If you plan on staying in Hawkins, you're gonna have to let him know at some point." I laughed and stood up.

"And where are you going?" I asked.

"California. Screw this shit. People like me aren't meant to be hero's. You and Steve are." My heart broke as I offered my hand.

"Funnily enough, you are my hero." Billy smiled and took my hand before we walked outside of the mall again.

My eyes instantly found Steve and I saw him sitting next to Robin in an ambulance. A blanket wrapped around his head as he looked around.

His eyes caught mine and he visibly deflated when he saw Billy and I together.

"Go." Billy said from beside me. I leaned up and gave him a kiss on the cheek before staggering towards Steve.

A million thoughts raced through his head as he watched me. He finally ripped off the blanket and came running towards me, catching me in his arms.

Steve sighed into my shoulder and pulled me impossibly closer to him.

"It's you, Steve. It'll always be you." I whispered. Steve let out a laughing sob before pulling away and looking at my face.

"Does that mean you'll actually go on proper date with me?" He questioned.

"No monster?" I asked. Steve chuckled and shook his head.

"No...just me."