Chapter 37

Edited:
Word Count: 1096

I walked through the door to the pool and checked my watch quickly.

"Shit." I muttered. I stepped into the employee room and felt someone grab my arm and pull me against a wall, covering my scream with their hand.

When I realized who it was, I relaxed and pushed their hand away.

"Jesus Christ, Billy. You scared the shit out of me." I sighed. He smirked and took off his sunglasses.

"You look good in the suit." He said, looking me up and down.

"All the girls wear this." I said in a matter of fact tone. He chuckled and placed his hands on my hips before he leaned in close to my ear.

"Looks better on you." He smirked.

"Yeah, yeah. Sorry I'm late, I was-"

"Doing the walk of shame with your other boy toy Steve?" He teased. I rolled my eyes and began putting my stuff in the locker.

"Oh, my god. What is with you two. At least you two are self aware of your stance." I joked back.

"Hey, everyone needs to branch out, I guess. As long as I'm in the equation, I don't care." I scoffed and walked towards the door.

Billy grabbed my hand and spun me around.

"Billy." I whined.

"Marley." He mocked back.

"If you walk out there with me then the moms will think we're dating and they'll stop coming. I didn't get a second job for nothing." He smiled and leaned forward placing his lips to my neck.

I sighed and touched his arm gently.

"Would you die for me, Billy?" The dark voice echoed. I bit my lip and jerked my eyes open, pushing him away slightly.

"I can't." And then I opened the door and rushed out into the pool. When I walked past Mrs. Wheeler and her friends, I smiled.

"Hi, Mrs. Wheeler." I said, stopping slightly. She sat up and beamed at me.

"You work at the pool now? What happened to the movie store?" She asked kindly.

"I work there too, I just figured extra cash wouldn't kill me." Mrs. Wheeler sighed.

"You work too hard, Marley. Marian, did you know that Marley is captain of the cheer team, president of the Pep club and she works two jobs." She said, shaking her head in worry.

"Don't find kids like you nowadays." The woman smiled.

"Stop, you ladies flatter me." I said, waving them off.

"You better try and have some fun this summer, Mar." I looked over and saw Billy starting to walk out. When he saw me, he pulled his shades down and winked.

"Oh, I will, Mrs. Wheeler. Have fun now ladies." I said, waving to them. I made my way over to the shallow end and stepped in, seeing a woman holding her toddler.

"Hi, Mrs, Jenkins! Are you ready for today?" I smiled happily. She sighed and nodded with relief.

"I don't know what I'd do without you, Marley." I chuckled and gently took the baby from her arms for her to relax.

Basically, my job at the pool was to teach toddlers how to swim and/or watch them so their parents could have a break.

"Hi, Toby." I smiled. The toddler giggled and splashed the water before I started waving him around.

The child started laughing uncontrollably as I did making me laugh as well. Then, I placed the child on my hip and turned.

Billy was looking directly at me, licking his lips. I rolled my eyes playfully and moved back to the toddler.

"Okay, ready to swim?" I asked him. I held him out in my arms and loosened my grip slightly. Toby immediately started to freak out and clawed at my hands.

"Okay..okay.." I chuckled, pulling him back in.

"You need to make him feel protected." I heard. I looked up and saw Billy standing over me.

"I know what I'm doing." I sighed. He nodded his head and started to get in the water slowly.

"What are you doing?" I hissed.

"Relax, I'm about to get you more money." I rolled my eyes and held Toby tighter. He swam a little away and held out his hands.

"Hand him to me. If he knows you, he'll swim to you. He just needs support." I rolled my eyes again and slowly handed the toddler to him.

Billy smiled and waved Toby around slightly before turning to look at all the moms who's eyes were glued on him.

"You're unbelievable." I snickered.

"It's money." He shrugged.

"It's gross." I argued.

"Are you jealous of Mrs. Wheeler, Mar?" He asked, cocking an eyebrow. I scoffed and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Should I be?"

"Of course not, you're all the woman I need."

"Awe, Billy won't sleep with an grown, married mother for me. How romantic." I said sarcastically. He laughed and held the baby.

"Come here, Toby." I said, holding out my hands. The toddler smiled and kicked his legs happily before reaching for me. I saw Billy slowly start to let him go.

Toby was so happy to see me that he didn't even notice that Billy had let go of him as he swam to me on almost a perfect doggy paddle.

He finally reached my hands and I grabbed him happily.

"Yay!" I said, praising him with a beaming smile. Mrs. Jenkins walked over and leaned down on her knees to grab her son.

"He swam! That's amazing, you're a great instructor. I left something for you and, uh..Billy at the front desk." She said, looking Billy up and down.

Billy came up beside me, brushing his body against mine slightly.

"It really was our pleasure, Mrs. Jenkins." Billy flirted. His hand grazed my leg in the water before it slowly slid up my side placed itself on my butt.

I let out a forced chuckle.

"You two should do it together more! You'd make a great team." Billy smiled, squeezing his hand. My eyes widened and I tried to hide it with smile.

"W-we might just have to do that." I forced out. She smiled again and walked off, when she did I turned to glare at Billy. He kept the mischievous smirk on his face.

His hand moved from my butt to the small of my back.

"Go out with me." He said. I rolled my eyes and went to walk out of the pool but he kept his grip tight.

"Please." He mocked.

"Fine, whatever." And then he let go so I could walk out.