Chapter 18

Edited:
Word Count: 1180

Hopper and I walked inside the cabin solemnly. When I looked up I saw the little girl standing in front of us. I jumped and placed a hand on my chest.

"El...hey.." I said slowing, putting my keys on the holster.

"Sad." She said simply.

"Not sad." I said back to her. She nodded and I grabbed her by the shoulder bringing her into the living room.

"I'm making dinner soon." Hopper said.

"I, uh..I'm not hungry." I shrugged. El looked at me from the side but I kept gaze on my hands in my lap.

"Actually, I think I'm gonna go to bed." I stood up and walked towards my room before quickly closing the door and locking it.

I squeezed my eyes shut as I leaned against the door.

"She's Scared?" I heard el ask from behind the door.

"Yeah, kid..she's scared."

I was running fast. I knew it because the familiar ache in my legs and the burning in my chest.

"Get back here!" I heard behind me. Letting out a choked sob, I tried to speed up even more.

"You did this, you little shit!" I tripped down on a branch and fell face first into the dirt. A pair of hands grabbed me and twisted me around to face them.

"You killed her!" My father yelled.

"No! I'm sorry!" I cried. His brought up his hand to reveal a rock.

"Please!" I begged. His face was twisted with rage, a dark tone in his eyes as he stared into my own.

Then, he brought down the rock, hitting it against my hairline. My vision blurred and I turned my head to look back at him.

"I hate you!" He screamed.

"No! Please!" I screamed, sitting up. I felt myself letting out a sigh of relief when I realized that I was back in my room at the cabin. The door burst open and I saw Hopper standing there, he didn't waste a second before he rushed to me and grabbed me in his arms.

I sat there and cried harshly.

"You're okay. You're safe." He said over and over again.

"Was it the upside down?" He asked. My mouth hung open as I let out silent cries.

"Her dad." I heard from the doorway. When I looked over I saw El staring back at us. She held up a finger and pointed to her hairline, referring to my scar.

Hopper looked down at me and moved my sweat covered hair to show the thick white scar.

"Bad man." El said again. Hopper sighed and stood up, closing the door to separate her from me before he came back down and pulled me into him again.

"I didn't mean to show her..." I whispered out as the cries quieted.

"I know. She didn't mean to see it." He added.

"I know." I muttered again. Then, I fell asleep again.

When I woke up again it was daylight. I rubbed my eyes and slowly sat up before walking into the kitchen. Hopper was making food while El stood behind him, dressed as a ghost.

When he turned around, he jumped when he saw us.

"Ghost." She said. I laughed, making her jump as well, not knowing I was there.