Chapter 60

Edited:
Word Count: 1117

"Marley, you don't have to to this." Steve said slowly. I frowned and turned to him.

"I want to make the most of my time, Steve. I'm glad I'm with you." I sighed, reaching forward to grab his hand.

"I'm not going to lose you again, Marley. I've had too many experiences with that and let me tell you, watching the love your life almost die three times is not amusing." I smiled slightly and examined his face.

I wanted to remember how he looked, how he smelled, the way his eyes crinkled whenever he laughed.

"I love you, Steve. A lot." I sighed.

"I love you, Marley." He said, turning to me with a smile.

"Oh, geez, Marley. I hate to say it but you're music taste is garbage." Dustin said, looking through my cassettes.

I let out a small laugh and turned to him.

"He's not wrong.." Steve said, sucking air through his teeth. I rolled my eyes playfully and turned to see where Steve stopped.

My chest tightened and I squeezed my now sweaty hands.

"Stay here.." I said slowly.

"What? Marley, no.."

"Steve. Please." I begged. Steve scanned my face for a moment before nodding. I got out of the car and walked towards the graveyard.

I memorized every row and name by now that I barely had to think to figure out where the grave was.

When I found it, I let out a sigh.

"Hey, dad." I said, my voice shaking.

James Hopper: Born 1942-1985, Loving father and beloved police chief.

I sat down in front of the grave and opened the letter I made for him.

"Hey, Dad.." I read off.

"It's been a while since I've been here, for that I'm sorry. It's just... A lot happened since you've been gone. I already told you that Steve and I moved into the old Byer's house. And it's... It's, well it's amazing." I said with a smile, looking back to see Steve standing by the car looking at me.

"He's such a great guy. I know you knew that, and I just wish you could see the kind of man he turned into. I miss you every day. Life doesn't feel the same when you're not looking over my shoulder at every given moment, or yelling at me for staying out too late. I'm not used to you not being in that stupid lazy chair, eating foods that you know I don't like you eating." My eyes started to water and I quickly wiped them.

"I remember reading your letter back when it all happened. And I remember being so mad at you. I was mad at you for being brave. For a really long time I called you selfish for risking your life when you knew that El and I were waiting for you on the other side. But, now I know that you just did it to save everybody. I'm trying to find it in my heart to forgive you for being a hero. My reasoning is that, no matter how many times I put myself in danger to save others, you always told me how proud you are of me. And how lucky you are to have me as your daughter." My voice broke as I spoke, looking up at his grave again before turned back to the paper.

"I look for you in everything that I see. A police car going by, a dad and daughter walking hand-in-hand in the street. And a bottle of beer in the store." I chuckled.

"I went and got myself in a lot of trouble again. And I know you'd be here to tell me that everything's gonna be okay and that you are gonna figure out a way to get me out of this. But, you're not here. And I'm afraid this time I won't be able to get out of it." I sniffled.

"I don't think I ever wanna leave. I know I should, and I know I have to at some point. But I've created so many great bonds here and I couldn't possibly think about letting everybody go. I just wish you were here. I'm sorry for everything. I shouldn't have been so selfish, I may be able to be able to save you." I finished.

The sky suddenly darkened and I heard the familiar hum of the clock.

"Marley." I heard. My head jerked over into the foggy night and slowly, I stood.

"I've been waiting to hear those words, Marley." The voice said. I knew this voice. I remember it. When I saw the figure from the darkness emerging, I knew who it was.

I swallowed harshly.

"So... Very. Long." Hopper said, stepping closer, wiping a tear from my eye.

"But it wasn't the truth was it, Marley? No, I think there's a part of you, buried somewhere deep, that wanted me to die that day. That was maybe even relieved. Happy. One less person to worry about, am I right?" He spit.

"Dad, no, that's not true." I cried, taking steps back as he came closer.

"That's why you didn't do anything, isn't it, Marley? It's okay. You can admit it now. No more lies. No more hiding." He said again, his eyes darkening.

"Dad, that's not true, I swear. I swear it's not true." I whimpered.

"That is why you feel such guilt. Why you hide from your friends. Why you are hiding from the world. And why, late night, you sometimes wish to follow me. Follow me into the death." I squeezed my eyes shut to block the tears.

"That is why I'm here, Marley. To end your suffering, once and for all."

Suddenly, I fell back and hit the ground. When I look back up, in Hoppers place, was a monster. He was completely covered in black veins, shriveled. Just like in the game.

"It's time, Marley. Time for you to join me." He growled.

Instantly, I stood up and ran into the fog. I wasn't quite sure where I was going but I knew I needed to get away.

My legs burned, the breath and my chest felt like it was being ripped away.

I ducked behind a grave. However, when I turned around to see where he was, I saw him walking towards me.

"You cannot hide from me, Marilyn." The beast cooed.

I stood up and took off again.

"Steve, Steve, please help." I cried desperately.

"Dustin, Lucas, Max. Somebody!" I shrieked.

A red bean of light hit my face, making me turn to look.

An Abundance of red fog covered half of the graveyard. Slowly, I walk towards it.