Chapter 35

Edited:
Word Count: 1380

Before we could enter, Hopper stood at the door.

"You're the kid that came to the hospital, right?" Hopper muttered. Billy looked at the kids hesitantly before nodding.

Hopper nodded and extended his hand.

"Thank you."

"No problem, sir." He stepped aside and let us walk in. I closed the door and turned around to see him fully. His hands were in his pockets and his usual smirking face was gone.

"Happy birthday." He said. I smiled and walked to sit on my bed.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry to you for acting the way I did. Trying to win you over and stuff that just..it's not me. I mean, it is but, I'm better than that. I guess I'm just trying to-"

"Billy." I chuckled, placing my hand on his shoulder. He jumped slightly and kept his face down. I furrowed my eyes and gently brought his face to turn to my by his chin.

He had a dark bruise on his left eye that I knew didn't come from his fight with Steve.

"Your dad?" Billy jerked his face from my hands and didn't respond.

"When I came home without my car he kinda got pissed." He muttered. I frowned and touched his face gently again.

"I understand, Billy. Really, I do. More then you know."

"Yeah, well. At least your family likes you. Look, my dad forced me to come apologize to you and get max so I'll be gone now." Billy got up and walked towards the door but I grabbed his arm and turned him around.

"Billy..." he looked everywhere but me. I saw him holding his hand in his jacket like he done since he got here and furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"What's that?" I asked. He simply shrugged and sniffled.

"Not anything better than what your boyfriend gave you, I guess." I chuckled causing him to look at me.

"Steve? Billy, we're not-Steve and I aren't together. We might act like but it's been that way since I got here." I assured.

Billy finally looked at me and I saw something soften in his eyes. Slowly, he started to pull the thing from his jacket.

It was a neatly wrapped present with a cute little ribbon that said my name.

"You didn't have to..." I started to open it and saw that it was a book. I could see little piece of paper sticking outside of it.

"It's just a couple things that I'd thought you'd like." Billy shrugged. I gave him a confused look before going to open the book.

Billy grabbed my hand gently to stop me.

"Don't open it now. Open it when I leave." He said. I sent him a smile and leaned up to kiss his cheek. Billy slightly turned his face so I kissed the corner of his mouth instead.

Still, I leaned forward and placed my lips to the side of his mouth anyways. I let my lips linger there for a couple seconds before I pulled away.

When I did, I saw that Billy's eyes had fluttered closed. The loss of contact made his eyes shoot open and I saw him smile slightly.

"You're something, Mar. I'll tell you that." I chuckled and reached up to brush a long curl out of his face.

"If it gets bad I want you to come here, okay?" I said softly. Billy touched my hand that moved his hair and placed it on his cheek.

"Okay.." he whispered.

"Okay.." I said back. I dropped my hand and stepped back slightly.

"Happy birthday, princess." Billy smirked. The door burst open, making me jump before Steve stood there, his hair a mess as he looked at us.

"Longer then five minutes, Hargrove." Billy put his hands up in defense and walked past Steve to get out, I saw Max follow behind.

Steve looked at me with a slight pout.

"Steve, come on." I said, placing a hand on my hip.

"I know we aren't dating or anything, but-"

"Steve." I said sternly. He closed his mouth and looked at me. I stepped forward and grabbed the sides of his face.

"We didn't do anything." I assured. Steve moved his tongue in his mouth before nodding and pulling me out.

***

"I look stupid." Dustin said, looking in the mirror. As I fixed El's hair, I turned to Steve who was reading a magazine on the couch, one foot propped on his knee.

"Steve." I called. He looked up at me in question before I gestured with my eyes to Dustin. Steve groaned and threw his head back on the couch.

Then, he stood up and grabbed the hairspray in Dustin's hand and began working with it. I looked at El in the mirror and saw her looking at her hands nervously.

"Don't even worry about it, El. You look amazing and even if you didn't, Mike's jaw would drop either way. He's totally into you." I assured.

She looked up at me with a thankful smile.

"What's it like to love someone?" El asked suddenly. I froze and I could see Steve in the mirror do the same thing.

"I'm thinking the same thing." Dustin said. Steve and I looked at each other with joking smiles before turning back to the kids.

"It's like a constant play of your favorite song except it doesn't ever get old." I shrugged.

"Or like a huge tickle in your entire body when you look at them." Steve added.

"You think about them all the time.." I began.

"And find yourself looking at things in the store wondering if they'd like it too." Steve finished. We both looked at each other before sheepishly looking back.

"Is that how it feels with Steve?" El whispered, I knew Steve could hear it anyways because he slightly turned his head.

I put my chin on El's shoulder.

"Being with Steve is like walking through a small village in Paris where you can smell the good food every time you pass the bakery." I whispered.

She smiled and touched my hand gently.

We drove the kids the the school where Steve and I each gave them a pep talk before we handed them off and went back to Steve's house.

We both sat on the couch with a bunch of Christmas movies playing while I laid my head in his lap and he played with my hands.

"You know, You never gave me my birthday or Christmas present." I said suddenly. Steve smiled and leaned up so I could get off of his lap and going under the tree to grab the items.

He handed me two items. One of which was a cup with a bow on it and the other was a box.

"Worlds biggest bad ass?" I read off of the cup. Steve hummed in response and I chuckled.

"Okay, now close your eyes." I did as told and felt him grab my leg, moving my leg onto his lap causing my breath to catch in my throat.

He touched my ankle gentle, letting his fingers brush against my skin.

"Open." I opened them and looked at my ankle. When I turned it, it shined in the light.

It had Steve's name on the side and charm or two surrounding it.

"I figured you could always have a part of me. I add a charm every time one of us almost died." I threw my head back in laughter and looked at the four charms.

"The tree for the upside down, the bat for when I was in the house with Nancy and Jonathan. The dog for when we went into the tunnel with the demo-dogs and the tornado for the mind flayer." He said, pointing to them. I practically beamed and looked at him.

"I love it." I whispered. Steve looked down at my lips before licking his own. My heartbeat quickened speed and I felt is both start to slowly lean in.

"I love you." He whispered. I smiled and leaned in closer so that our lips were barely touching.

"I love you too." I sighed happily. The phone rang, causing us both to jump. I put a hand on my chest and sighed.