Chapter 56

Edited:
Word Count: 1335

"Hi, sweet boy!" I said through the phone happily. I sat in the car with Max, Dustin, Robin and Steve but I decided to call Will before it got too late.

"Hi, Marley!" I heard him say. I pulled the phone from my ear and held it in the middle of the car.

"Happy Birthday!" We all yelled. When I placed the phone back to my ear, he was laughing.

"Thanks, guys. I totally forgot." He laughed.

"Are you having fun?" I questioned. It was silent, making me frown.

"Y-yeah..yeah, Mike's here and we're at the roller rink right now." I still knew something was off. He didn't seem as cheerful as he should.

"Well, I sent you a present, did you get it yet?" I asked excitedly.

"Yeah! The drawing supplies. Thanks, Mar, I really appreciate it." He sighed. We pulled into the driveway of the old house and I looked at Steve.

He sent me a sympathetic smile.

"Listen, I have to go right now, Steve and I have to do some work around the house but I'll call you again tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay, Mar. I miss you." He sighed. I frowned slightly.

"I miss you too, Will. I love you, kid."

"I love you too, Marley." Then, I pressed the end call button and placed the phone in the console.

"Ready?" I nodded and followed everyone out.

We went to the house and waited as Dustin pressed the doorbell. Nothing happened so he pressed it again. Still, nothing happened and he pressed it repeatedly.

"OK, well it's settled. I guess he's not here." Steve shrugged.

"Eddie! It's Dustin." Dustin screamed, leaning to speak in the mail slot.

"Great, well...."

"Look, we just wanna talk, okay? No cops, I swear. We just wanna help. Eddie!" Dustin continued.

We went around the house and looked through the windows, seeing it almost completely empty.

"Reefer Rick!" Dustin yelled.

"Don't scream that!" Steve hissed.

I went a little ways past the house and shined my light on an abandoned shed not far from the house. The door was slightly opened and an idea popped in my head.

"Hey, guys?" I called.

Everyone came over and looked at what I had been focusing my flashlight on. We went towards the shed, shining our flashlights over it.

Slowly, Robin opened the door. Calling out to see if anyone was in there. Still, it looked completely empty but we all went inside anyways.

"What a dump." Steve sighed.

I looked over to see that Steve grabbed an ore and went over to a canoe that sat in the middle of the shed.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"He might be in there." Steve shrugged.

"So take the tarp off." I deadpanned.

"If you're so brave, you take the tarp off." He said, looking at me. I rolled my eyes and turned to Max.

"Hey, look over here." She said.

I walked over to Max and saw all the pile of food sitting on a desk.