welcome home again

Start from the beginning

"Was it fun being at the lake with your boyfriend?" kenzie asks and Ellie nods "it was so much fun. We went in the lake, went on a hike, made smores and played games. The weather was amazing too" she tells her sister. Kenzie was really jealous, but it helped when I promised her that we would go on a vacation all of us when she is better, and she could pick where we went. 

"mom said that since I didn't get to go on a vacation this summer I get to pick where we go next time" kenzie says. I was nervous that would cause drama between the girls, but it seems like aurora and Ellie seem fine with it. Usually that would be something that caused a meltdown and screaming about how unfair it is by aurora, but I think she feels bad for her sister. 

The girls fight, just like any other sisters, but they have a deep love for one another at the end of the day. 

"The rules for the time being is no visitors and limit physical contact with kenzie while her blood count is going up. I know I've told you girls this before but what they killed first was her bone marrow which gives her an immune system, they wiped that out and now she is really fragile. She is better, her numbers are going up, but not to the point where she is out of the woods yet. I know it sucks that you can't have people over, but we need to make sure your sister is safe, okay?" I tell the girls and they nod. 

"I remember thinking, are we out of the woods yet, are we out of the woods yet are we out of the woods" they both sing and that's when I realize that I quoted my own song. "haha funny girls" I tell them, and they look at eachother with a smirk. 

Ellie grabs her phone and search for something, and I hear a familiar melody start, they both grab a remote and stand in front of us 

" Looking at it now
It all seems so simple
We were lying on your couch
I remember"

Ellie and aurora sing and I'm laughing so hard 

"You took a Polaroid of us
Then discovered
(Then discovered)
The rest of the world was black and white
But we were in screaming color
And I remember thinking"

"Are we out of the woods yet?
Are we out of the woods yet?
Are we out of the woods?

Are we in the clear yet?
In the clear yet, good"

They are having so much fun and finish up the song and I clap for them "the best performance of that song ever" I tell them, and they flick their hair over their shoulders "we know" they say in unison. 

Usually they don't get along, so this is really heartwarming to watch. Ever since they were little they have constantly been arguing, but maybe that's changing now that they are older. We all change when we get older, and I remember how I started to get along better with Austin the older we got. Hopefully all three girls will have a good and lasting relationship just like I have with my brother and joe has with his brothers. 

"We happen to know ever since lyric you write mom, even the songs that came out before we were born as you have sung them so many times" aurora says and her and Ellie fist bump. They have been to so many concerts over the years, so I'm not surprised they have memorized them, especially Ellie because of how smart she is. 

"I know all the lyrics too.... well, most of it" kenzie mumbles and I kiss the top of her head as she snuggles in my side "I know kenzie" 

**

All three girls are in bed so joe and me head to our bedroom. "God it's so nice to just be us right now" I say and wrap him in a tight hug. We haven't gotten a moment alone since I walked in the door, the kids have constantly been around.