getaway

** friday January 18th 2036**

-taylors Pov- 

Everyone is going away for the weekend. Aurora and kenzie is going to my brother's house, Ellie is going to her boyfriend's house and joe, and I are going to a secluded cabin we rented for the weekend. Joe and I need some time to just be a couple and tend to each other's needs so we can be there for the kids with what they need. We have been bickering more than usual lately, especially this week, so we need to get away before we bite each others heads off. 

I'm a bit nervous about having aurora stay away from us with everything going on, and we even offered for her to go with us, but she insisted she is tired off us fussing over her and would love a weekend away from us. So that settles that. But we made sure that the cabin isn't more than an hour away just in case any of the kids needs something. 

"You sure you're going to be okay" I say as I'm sitting in auroras bed folding her clothes into her bag "mom I'm going to scream at you if you keep asking me that. I'm sick and tired of you two. I will love being at Uncle Austin because he isn't so bloody annoying" she groans at me. Clearly, we have been overwhelming her lately, but we are just trying to figure out how to best help her. 

"I know you get annoyed at us. We just want to help you. Call me if you need to talk though, I'll keep my phone on and daddy has his too. And I'm always open for calling the psyh--" she glares at me "if you say psychologist, I'm going to have a meltdown. We don't use that word around here. I don't do therapy; I don't want therapy and you need to leave me alone. If I want to talk, I will talk" she says and goes into her closet, slams the door shut and scream at the top of her lungs. 

Joe comes running and look panicked "what happed? Is she okay?" he asks, and I rest my head in my hands "she is just... I don't know what to tell you joe. It's the same. She won't talk. But we need to just keep giving her room and offering" I say quietly so she doesn't hear us, that would cause an even bigger meltdown. We have had to tell Austin a little but so he knew what to look for, but he was totally calm about having her there for the weekend. 

I move to Ellies room where she is giddy and packing her bag. She is also bringing dance clothes because she is going to dance tomorrow. The girls only had half their usual dance class and gymnastics today so that fit with the timeline we needed to get on the road. So it's only 6pm and we are leaving soon. 

"You seem exited" I tell her with a raise eyebrow, and she bites her lip "of course I am. You two will have a wonderful trip and I get to hang out with Alex, so that's perfect for everyone" she says. 

"mmm I see that package of condoms in your bag Ellie. You're not fooling me" I say, and she looks at me with a smug look and giggles. 

**

After dropping all the girls off, we drive the hour to the cabin and I'm really excited to get away from the city for the weekend and spent some time with my husband alone. 

We get to the cabin and put our things inside and it's a really nice cabin. It's a cozy interior and outside it's a beautiful forest with trails you can hike. There is also snow covering the ground and the top of the trees, so it seems like a winter wonderland. 

I'm standing in the window looking out "it's so pretty here" I say, and joe snakes his arms around my waist from behind "not as pretty as you" he says and turn me around and kiss me softly. 

We lit the fireplace with firewood and get some wine so we can enjoy some while we sit and watch the fire and talk. It's really peaceful here, it's quiet and it's just us. Security is in the next-door cabin, but they keep out of ears reach do we can have privacy.