39

HAWKINS BLEEDING! CHAPTER THIRTY NINE:
THE PEP RALLY

Stephenies favourite time of the day was listening to Steve in the front seat ranting to her and Robin about his never ending hole of a love life. It was so complex, Stephenie couldn't even begin to wrap her head around it. He could talk to girls again, but he just never knew what he wanted. She was in the back seat next to Robins band stuff, in her cheer uniform. Today they were having a pep rally for the big game. 'Object of My Desire' by Star-point played on the radio and Stephenie had her Walkman half on her head on one ear.

"Than theirs Heidi tomorrow night, but the problem with Heidi is that she's going out of state for college— like do I wanna start another relationship that has no point other than sex?" Steve said as Robin did her makeup in the car mirror, and Stephenie groaned.

"I mean, I don't know, does that make sense to you?" Steve asked

"No, Steve it's literally seven in the morning please give my brain a few more hours till this shit" Stephenie told him

"Steph I will drop you on the side of the road if you keep it up—Robin are you even listening?"

"Uh, yes"

"What did I just say?"

"Something about sex with Linda"

"No, I'm talking about Heidi!" Steve exclaimed

"Cut me some slack, please, your love life is one labyrinthine complexity— and like Steph said it is seven in the morning, we have a stupid pep rally and I woke up looking like a corpse" Robin told them and Stephenie wondered for a minute about why Robin cared... than she remembered that Robin had a crush on a girl named Vickie in band. She smirked up at Robin.

Robin had come out to Stephenie 2 months after she did to Steve. Obviously Stephenie was so excited that Robin was comfortable enough to tell her that.

"Your worried about a pep rally? You expect me to believe that?" Steve asked

"Yeah? So?"

"So we all know what this is about" Steve said and Stephenie leaned forward in her seat

"Vickie" Stephenie teased in a sing song voice, and Robin turned back to slightly shove Stephenie and she laughed as she sat back in her seat.

"Absolutely not" Robin shook her head

"It totally is Robin" Stephenie exclaimed

"And you know what else? You gotta stop pretending to be someone else when your around her. You just gotta be yourself"

"Your literally quoting me to me you do realize that right?"

"Maybe you need to listen to yourself? You ever think of that? I listened. Look at me, boom back it business"

"is it?" Stephenie muttered

"It's not the same thing okay?" Robin said "you ask a girl out, she says no— big deal. Nothing happens maybe your egos a little bruised. I ask out the wrong girl and boom, I'm a town pariah"

"I'd buy that, except Vickie is definitely not the wrong girl."

"We just don't know that, do we?"