38

HAWKINS BLEEDING! CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT:
THE HELLFIRE CLUB

It was march 1986, and Stephenie and the group were in their freshman year at the highschool and right away Stephenie was thrown into the ring of popularity just from the last name Harrington. She didn't like it very much to be quite honest and teachers already had it out for her because believe it or not, Steve was not the best student. Stephenie was encouraged to be on the cheer team, and Chrissy had talked to her multiple times about it and she caved. Steve thought it would be good for her to have a distraction. She still hangout with Mike, Dustin, Lucas and Max of course it was just to try and have some normalcy. but Lucas had however stopped hanging out with them more frequently, since he joined the basketball team his schedule had been crazy busy. It was a sudden shift from him since he'd never had much interest in sports at all.

Stephenie and Max had hung out more out of the group. She seemed distant... more sad. But she always exused it as school and Lucas— they had broken up even more frequently since Billy died, and now they weren't even together. Max refused to look at him. Stephenie wasn't completly sure what happend as both of them just never talked to each other. Max would'nt budge when Stephenie tried to talk to her about Billy, or Lucas. She didn't pry, because she didn't want Max to feel any pressure. 

Mike was having similar problems to Stephenie, missing El. but he seemed to want to keep Stephenie busy, and try and make it like things used to be. He was always checking on her and when Steve wasn't home for late shifts, Stephenie ate at the Wheelers house.

Dustin was more sad than usual but still managed to crack a smile now and then. He'd come over after Steve's shift at the Movie store. Robin would sometimes come and check on Stephenie after her and Steve's shift at the video store as well. Nancy was sad about Jonathan, but Stephenie and her got closer and she was a senior at the high-school now.

Stephenie came down the stairs quickly after seeing the mail truck drive away— it was Thursday, so surely she'd get a card from Will. She would always get cute Letters from Will from California at the end of every week and she sent him the same. She ran out the door and out to the mailbox, reaching in and pulling out a while envelope with the worlds 'To Stephenie' printed messily on it. She also pulled out checks from their parents and carried them all inside.

She threw the checks and other envelopes on the table and only took Wills letter, causing Steve to come down the stairs at the sudden noise.

"Steph, what the hell?" Steve asked

"Brought in the mail for you Stevie" Stephenie told him, before running up the stairs and slamming her door behind her.

She laid down on her bed and ripped open the envelope and took the card out. She began to read.

Dear Stephenie,

It's day 185 of being away from you. I'm so excited for spring break to get to see you and Mike and El is too! I have so much planned for us because I want it to be special. I can't wait to show you all my stuff I have in California! I've been working on a painting, it's a surprise though. I want it to me perfect when you see it. Els been acting weird. I think some kids are giving her a hard time. I'm not sure what it is, I've been trying to help her with grades and stuff. I miss you.

Love, Will

Stephenie Sighed. She missed Will. He was her rock. Steve had Stephenie going to see a therapist twice a week since she refused to speak to the school counsellor. Not that she talked all that much, most of it was Mrs Sandra— her therapist talking. Stephenie sat in the waiting room, Steve was beside her and her leg bounced up and down.

"Stephenie" a lady's voice said and she looked up towards the open door to see Mrs Sandra. "you can come in" Stephenie looked to Steve who gave her an encouraging look and she reluctantly got up.

"How are you Stephanie?" Mrs Sandra asked as Stephenie looked down at her feet as she sat in the chair.

"I'm fine" Stephenie stated

"No nightmares? Visions?"

"No. I haven't had one since..." Stephenie gulped "since last summer." She pursed her lips as she put her hand on the left side of her abdomen where one of the mind flayers sharp arms held her.

"What about school? how is that going?"

"Fine"

"Have your parents been home? Since the incident"

"A few times. Not long enough to care" she let out a breath "i don't mind it though, Steve's doing fine and we get checks every month from them."

"How often are you seeing your friends?"

"I, uh... I mostly just see Mike and Dustin regularly. Max sometimes but she's... distant. Lucas is too busy with basketball, even though I'm on the cheer team he doesn't seem to interested in talking to me. We made a new friend. His names Eddie. he's nice. I talk to El and Will a few times, ever since they left it's been weird."

Nobody knew she had powers other than the party—plus Robin, Steve and Nancy. She was the only one with powers since El lost hers, though they were weak but still there. The thought of looking for Hopper— or heck even Billy had crossed her mind multiple times. But she couldn't find it in her to do it. 

"You've talked about Will quite a lot. Are you guys close?"

"Yeah" Stephenies lips turned into a smile "he's in California, with El, they moved a month after summer."

Every night she would sit on the ground with her blind fold ready and the static on her radio. Her hands would start to shake and she would try and put the blind fold on. She would have it on for not even 10 seconds and start to have trouble breathing and rip it off.

"You care about Will Quite a lot don't you?" Mrs Sandra asked

"Yeah. I really miss him. Me and Mike... uh... we're going to California for spring break"

"Oh, that's exciting"

"Yeah" Stephenie nodded

Then she would find herself at the basement door of the Wheelers house. Mike would let her in and she would sit for hours going on about how she felt useless— how she wanted to help and Mike would always try and tell her she was doing as much as she could and to not over exert herself.

Than she would go to school the next day and have to deal with the worlds biggest asshole, Jason Carver. He was rich— and half the girls at the school swooned over him. He lived on the same street as her and Steve. He was dating Chrissy, and Stephenie utterly felt bad for the girl. There was something about Chrissy that Stephenie just couldn't seem to point. There was an energy almost... that made them connected. It was a sudden thing. It started recently. Stephenie just thought it was cause of Jason, because honestly Stephenie might lose her mind if she was dating him too.

their first week of high school Stephenie had been introduced to a boy named Eddie. Dustin and Mike had met him and introduced Stephenie. Eddie had a club named 'The Hellfire Club' about playing D&D. Stephenie had never really played that much but Dustin thought it was necessary— he hated to see Stephenie be down and he thought it would be good for her to focus on something new.

Stephenie was Eddie's one exception to not playing all the time. Eddie even started calling her "Princess Hellfire" because I'm his words "why the hell would you even talk to us? Don't you have your throne waiting?" But now he almost made sure Stephenie had a grand entrance.

so was everything actually back to normal?