To Whom Do You Belong: Part Two.

(Edited)

𝐉𝐚𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞

"Avocado, egg and cheese breakfast muffins, blueberry, almond crepes and freshly squeezed orange juice," I announced as I placed the trays of food and the beaker of juice on the table.
"Sweetheart, what was the need to make so much?" Mom laughed.  "It's just the four of us you know."

"I know Mom, but this is my first Memorial Day weekend since my marriage, and besides, it's Saturday," I said with a smile.
"This is nothing compared to what we usually have for breakfast," Valentino added as he brought the coffee to the table.
"After breakfast, Valentino promised he'd take me to the arcade," Andrès spoke up. "After the arcade, can we go to the zoo?"

"I don't know honey, it depends on Valentino and whether or not he has plans today," Mom replied.
"I don't have any plans, I'll be happy to take him to the arcade. And the zoo, if he wants," Valentino said.
"Are you sure? I don't want him to be a bother, if you have a busy schedule then there's no pressure for you to-"
"Why are you saying that Rebecca? It's no bother, after all, Andrès is my brother-in-law. Can't I do this much for him?"

Mom smiled and nodded her head. "Of course you can. It's just that..well, after what happened with Ivan, Andriana and Kazimir, I'm a little apprehensive about Andrès leaving the house."

Valentino sighed and took Mom's hand in his own. "I know you have your doubts Rebecca, you're a mother, so it's only natural that you worry about your son. But believe me when I say that I will never do anything to hurt Andrès. He's not just my wife's little brother, he's a member of this family. And for me, family is everything. He's safe with us and he always will be."

"Valentino is right Mamá," I agreed. "So don't ever be under the assumption that Andrès is a burden to us. You're my mother and Andrès is my brother, that makes you Valentino's mother-in-law and brother-in-law. You're family, both of you. And as Valentino said, family is everything."

I could see tears well up in Mom's eyes. Picking up a napkin she dabbed at them and exhaled shakily.
"Mom are you okay? What's the matter?" I asked worriedly.
"Nothing sweetie, I just got a little emotional, that's all. Your sister wasn't so accommodative when Andrès and I went to live with them in Cobble Hill," she sighed.
"I know Mom, but you don't have to worry about anything. Father, Andriana and Kazimir can't hurt you guys anymore. You'll never have to suffer from humiliation and abuse at their hands again. I promise."

Mom smiled and opened her arms and I went to give her a hug. Then she surprised me by giving Valentino a hug too. "I love you both so much. My dearest daughter and my darling son-in-law."
"We love you too," I laughed as I kissed her on her cheek.

"If you guys are done, can we please have our breakfast so I can go to the arcade? My friends are probably already there," Andrès whined as he began to tug on Valentino's hand. "¡Vamos vamos!"
(Let's go, let's go!)
"Easy tiger, we're coming," Valentino chuckled.

𝐕𝐚𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐨

After breakfast, I drove Andrès to meet his friends at Brooklyn Video Games on 6801 20th Ave, just a half hour's drive from Clinton Hill. Not wanting Andrès to be left alone in such a large establishment, Jasmine requested that I go with him.

"How many of your friends are coming to the arcade?" I inquired as I pulled up to the building and parked next to the curb.
"Three of them, my friend Justin and his brothers Silas and Tyson," he replied. "There's this game we wanted to buy. Dead or Alive 6. It came out last month and I hear it's great!"
"Really? What kind of game is it?"