Breakfast Date.

(Edited)

𝐉𝐚𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞

"Mommy can I have chocolate cake for my birthday? And chocolate ice cream? Oh and chocolate cupcakes too?" I asked gleefully as I dropped a box of chocolate cake mixture into the shopping trolley Mom was pushing around the supermarket.

"Too much chocolate will give you a tummy ache my love," Mom said sweetly. "Why don't we buy vanilla ice cream instead? And instead of chocolate cupcakes, I'll make oatmeal banana cupcakes using Nana's recipe. Does that sound good ¿mi pequeña princesa?"
(My little princess)

"Sí mami. Buy the vanilla ice cream instead, Andriana likes vanilla ice cream too," I said clapping my hands joyously.
(Yes Mommy)

Mom ruffled my hair affectionately and pushed the trolley towards the dairy section. I skipped down the aisle ahead of her, my eyes peeled for my favourite brand of vanilla ice cream. When I found it, I ran back to Mom and tugged her skirt. "Lo encontré mamá."
(Found it Mom)

"Good job sweetie, now we just have to get the cones, the sprinkles and a pack of chocolate chips for the cake," Mom told me.
"Will Daddy be there for my party Mommy?" I wanted to know.
Mom didn't answer, she just stood there, lost for words. I noticed the look in her eyes and my face fell. "Daddy isn't coming is he?"

"I'm sorry darling, Daddy is working late tonight, he won't be here until Monday," she said sadly. "He wished he could be here."
My bottom lip quivered and I could feel tears fall from my face. It was my ninth birthday party and my Dad wasn't going to be here.

Mom dropped down on her knees and collected me in her arms, her fingers stroking my hair. I hugged her tightly and began to cry.
"Why can't Daddy be here Mommy? It's my birthday, can't he take a day off from work and be with me just for today? Why does he have to work so much? It's not fair!"

"Está bien mi amor, no llores. Está bien si papá no estará aquí para tu cumpleaños, tienes a tu madre, tu hermana, tus abuelos, tus tías, tíos y primos. Está bien cariña, está bien," Mom said soothingly.
(It's okay my love, don't cry. It's okay if Daddy won't be here for your birthday, you have your mother, your sister, your grandparents, your aunts, uncles and cousins. It's okay darling, it's okay)

"I want Daddy, Mommy! I want my Daddy!" I sobbed as I leaned my head on my mother's shoulder and cried, cried for my father.
"Honey Daddy's working, he can't be here, please stop crying," Mom pleaded. "He can't leave work and come home, he's in America-"

"Let him leave America then! Daddy is never home, it's my birthday, can't he stay home and be here for my birthday?!" I shouted in a voice that was both sad and angry. "Is Daddy's work so much more important than his own daughter?!"

"Apparently his work is more important than his own daughter," I said bitterly as I remembered the day of my ninth birthday where Mom took me grocery shopping to pick out my cake. Dad wasn't there on that day as he was working.

I stood in front of my mirror, a dreary look on my face.  After last night's events I went up to my room, shut the door, collapsed on the floor and cried for two hours straight. My room was a mess and there were books and papers everywhere.

I screamed into my pillow, flung things and cried until my throat was raw and dry. I was still in my dress from last night since I was too exhausted to shower. I even skipped dinner since the thought of eating anything made me sick to my stomach.

I wasn't feeling to go to college this morning, if I did there was no guarantee that I wouldn't hurt someone. Twice Sadie came to talk to me and twice I asked her to leave me alone. I didn't want anyone to see me like this, with my tangled hair and red eyes.