The Prices We Pay.

(Edited)

𝐉𝐚𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞

After we left the casino, we went back home since our work there was done. It was ten o'clock when we walked through the front door. Dean was playing a game of chess with Riley, Felix was having a smoke on the sofa and Dario and Annalise were watching the ten o'clock news with Enzo who was having a drink.

Riley looked up and noticed us standing there and her face lit up.
"How was the meeting? Did you guys get the job?"
"Yes we got the job," Damen said wearily as he took a seat next to Enzo and poured himself a glass of scotch.

"What's wrong? You guys look tense," Dean observed.
"Russian puttane decided to pick a fight. They grabbed Jasmine and tried to take her to their boss," Sadie said taking a seat on Damen's lap. "We don't know who he or she is."

"Whoever their boss is, he knows my father," I said lowly.
"They said that they knew Ivan?" Valentino asked. "Why didn't you tell me? I would've brought them back home and gotten the information out of them."

"I'm sorry, it slipped my mind, I wanted to tell you but I was so shaken up I forgot," I said running a hand through my hair.
"How could you forget Jasmine?!" Valentino shouted. "That piece of information could've been vital. Their boss could be someone working with Ivan, now that they're dead we'll never know! That was carelessness on your part."

"I said I was sorry!" I said frustratedly. "Who the hell remembers the exact details of a conversation when you're being dragged off to God knows where by dangerous men?! I was terrified Valentino. Terrified that they would take me away, terrified that I'd never see any of you again. So please, just...just drop it okay? Please."

I heard footsteps heading away from the living room and looked up to see that everyone had cleared out, leaving just Valentino and I. He carefully approached me and placed a hand on my shoulder. I looked up at him and saw a pained look in his eyes. "I'm sorry for yelling baby. I didn't think about you or how you were feeling about this whole thing and just went off on you. I'm so sorry, love."

I gave a small smile and reached my hands up. He smiled back and picked me up and held me in his arms. I hooked my legs around his waist and my arms around his neck. "Look at us, fighting like a married couple when we haven't even said our vows yet."

"I shudder to think what'll happen once we do say our vows," he chuckled. "We'll be pulling out guns and shooting each other."
"Like Jane and John from Mr and Mrs Smith?"
"Must you always compare real life to that of fiction?"

I laughed and kissed him on his lips, running my fingers along his collarbone and squeezing his shoulder muscles. When the kiss ended, I jumped down from his arms and looked up at him, a serious look in my eyes. He noticed this and straightened up immediately. "What's on your mind babygirl?"

"I don't want that to happen to me again," she murmured.
"You don't want what to happen to you again?"
"To be helpless and give anyone an opportunity to take advantage of me. I want to learn how to defend myself. The proper way."

It took a few seconds for him to comprehend what I wanted. "You want me to teach you how to be one of us."
I nodded my head vigorously. "I can't be in a situation and wait for someone to come and save me. You, Damen and Sadie came in time today, what if the same thing happens tomorrow and no one is around? I need to learn to fend for myself."

"I agree. In fact I myself was thinking about you not being able to defend yourself in a situation where you are on your own," he admitted. "It got me thinking about somethings and I realized you do need to learn how to fend for yourself."