Chapter 54- Offering

Kami could see as she approached Asahi's back facing them as they walked closer.

Marie was busy bandaging Asahi and Himari was kneeling over a few feet away twirling her finger in the dirt. Compared to the high spirits of the adventurer's just a few yards away, this was an entirely different mood.

The sound of cheering and joyful glee drowned the further she further she stepped and so the only sound of her walking through the blades of grass alongside Say and Shi became more predominant.

Once she was close enough, she raised her voice and spoke with a softness and delicate tone one that would not frighten or surprise them. "Hello there."

This caught their attention, they all turned to face Kami who had stopped a distance.

Her heart palpitated seeing their gazes falling onto her. Part of Kami thought they would turn around and shout words of anger and frustration, why she had not been there earlier? What had she been doing this whole time? Why did she bother showing her face at this point? These were all paranoid thoughts, ideas that crossed her mind, insecurities with no basis, yet all the same, they lingered as her and the three of them locked eyes for a long silent moment.

Asahi as usual was the first to speak out. "Miss Kami, is that you?"

Her eyes darted around the ground back and forth feeling and overwhelming sense of guilt. "Yeah, it's me."

She saw when his eyes darted to either side of her. "I remember you, she-"

"Is my sister, Shi, proper introduction, this is Asahi, Marie and Himari they're companions I traveled with when I arrived in this land."

Shi yawned and raised her hand over her head giving a slight nod. "Nice to meet you..."

"Sister...there was another one wasn't there? Bright gold eyes and pale glowing white hair."

"Another one...?" Shi mumbled low enough for Kami to hear.

"She's gone, not someone to worry about right now. I heard about; you know."

Marie turned away from Kami at the mention of the subject. It was clear that this was something she would rather not hear, so she went back to work on her father's bandaging.

"I can fix this."

Asahi raised an eyebrow curious striking his face. "Fix this?"

"I'm sorry about not being there to stop this from happening but I can fix it."

Asahi looked quietly at Kami for a while. It was hard to read what he was thinking which only helped to make Kami feel anxious.

He finally stood up, he flinched in what she thought was pain and he walked forward. "Do you believe this is your fault somehow, miss Kami?"

She felt her chest tighten and again, her eyes fell to the ground. "Don't you?"

Kami felt Asahi's hand gently brush against the top of her head. It was a soothing action that helped Kami fell a whole lot better.

"I do not. I can understand how you feel about this though, I'm sure we can all feel this way to some degree. Perhaps if I had been faster or stronger, we could have avoided this altogether."

She nodded and raised her head to see a gentle smile on Asahi's face.

"I can bring Keishi back."

This caught the attention of Marie and Himari who had seemingly decided to completely ignore most of the conversation so far. They looked back Marie being the one to speak out next.