Chapter 43- Fighting the Ghoul

"Go go go!" a voice yelled out into the darkness.

You could hear through the cave's walls how an echo of footsteps brazenly shuffled through the empty and damp ground. The metal clinging of armor and rhythm breathing following each step was the only sound that broke through the vast and cold caverns surroundings. That, and the incessive screeching of the monster closely following behind them.

Monster was a light term for this creature, the way it moved and twisted around while following them. Head constantly shifting from place to place while its empty dark hollowed out stare kept track of every movement, arms and hands curled up and whenever it would extend them you could hear its muscles stretching and nearly tearing, like leather being torn. The way it walked, with twisted legs and a limb on every step yet fully capable of moving at fast speed, its inhumane moving of closing the gap between them, stopping for a few as if trying to decide its next step and them closing up again when you would see that you build a distance away from it was entirely frightening. It did not help that it bore the resemblance of nothing but thin muscle and bone, a corpse that had been drained of all life but was barely on the stages of decay. The only thing giving it a sign of life were these glowing green veins across its body that pulsated every so often.

[Status Bar]

Name: Ghoul

LVL: 32

EXP:12765/29000

Title: Undead

Class: Monster/ Dungeon Boss

HP: 1158/1158

Stamina: 513/513

Mana:472/472

Strength: 698

Endurance: 901

Intelligence:501

Dexterity: 704

Charisma: 497

Wisdom: 493

"Don't get distracted!" Keishi yelled out from behind.

He was following closely behind her and a couple of other nameless soldiers. They were the only line between her and the monster that gradually gained distance.

She felt a swell of fear realizing that given enough time, not only would the monster be standing right behind her at this point but it would mean that her friend alongside these people would be torn into by this undead creature.

'What do I do, what do I do?'

Marie thought of everything she could possibly do in this situation. Buffing her allies would probably help, but it was not enough to counter that kind of beast, healing would only aid after they had been hurt, she would rather avoid that situation, a distraction maybe but there was nothing on her arsenal to be able to do that with. Holy skills of her level would not work either, at best they might appear to be an inconvenience to the ghoul and at worst it might agitate it enough for it to finally decided to go on the offensive.

Asahi, her father, spoke this time. He was standing somewhere between the back and middle alongside her this way he could react to a sudden strike by the ghoul or move up and deal with any new enemies that might show up.

"Marie, just focus on running."

She bit her lip and nodded; her father probably knew she was trying to come up with something at the time.

How long were they running for at this point? The ghoul had been following them around for what felt like an eternity, it was relentless.

"M-miss Marie!"