Chapter 28- Invitation

"Raise your head my girl!" the king jumped from his chair and made his way down the set of stairs.

He was agile for someone as old as he was.

Kami looked towards the short man who was now only a few feet away. His lips were curled in a smile with his arms resting over his chest in a curled-up manner.

"The one who defeated that dragon and saved our city, bravo!"

"Thank you, your maje-"

"Mellius, please call me Mellius, leave the honorifics to the noblemen."

There were whispers that instantly surged up behind them but the king raised his hand towards them and they fell silently immediately. "I was told all we know about you, a traveler from outside our city, you saved a village from some goblin attacks and its people are unharmed, captured the criminal; the Wild Beast Tamer of the North, defeated a monster delving in a part of a forest that had been previously confirmed as cursed, and now you dealt with a threat no one else could, felling a dragon and saving my people, all this in just a few days' time, ohoho!"

"Yes, it seems I've been busy." she responded.

"Yes, yes indeed! I owe you quite a deal of a lot, but even with all this I am curious, who are you exactly?"

She normally wouldn't mind just saying who or what she was, but it was a clear indication letting people know that she was an all mighty omnipotent being was not something that was too easy to believe. This also would basically work against what she had been trying to set herself up as back during the fight with the dragon. This was an easy question to answer now that she figured it would be the default answer from now on.

"A mage from overseas, I recently decided to travel the land to look for ways to expand my knowledge of magic and this just so happens to be my first stop."

"Oh, a mage from beyond the waters of our continent? I do have to say we here don't have much contact and information with any of the nations and continent from that side of the world."

She smiled, that was perfect, it would mean even if they wanted to confirm her backstory there was no way they could.

"We always thought that we were the last human nation in the world, I'm shocked to find out there are others on that side."

The last human nation? That was clearly a way to tell that she was suspicious. She cursed at the thought of not knowing enough information about this world before making up her story.

"It hardly matters! I was curious to find out more about our hero, that's all! After all your actions show you mean us no harm and you've earned the trust of the people! Now first of the matter of the dragon. Although you do not claim to be an adventurer it is only fair that we abide by their rules. You defeated the creature, in a mostly intact manner, therefore you have claim to some of the spoils."

'Spoils, does he mean-'

"Currently we are working on moving the corpse out of the public eye, but once that's done, we will have an abundance of dragon parts that you could use. Since you did all the work you can take as much as you but I would like to remind you that some of it will remain for our own storage."

Her heart raced as she realized what he was talking about. In a video game this was consider as crafting materials, dragon hides, dragon bones, dragon hearts, and the like. There were many uses based on the game but for the most part these were used to make armors and weapons, even to learn some new types of magic.

She quickly agreed with enthusiasm. "I will, thank you!"

It's my privilege, second off we are having a party tonight, something of a snob fest for those with gold lining their pocket." he chuckled as a number of nobles around them groaned. "We would like you to come, if possible, be my honorary guest!"