Chapter 38- Joining the Mage's Guild

Kami glanced around the rubble of the remains that used to be the Mage's Guild. Some of the other buildings in the vicinity had been reduced to piles of burned ashes, or completed crumbled from the explosion. In retrospect, the mage's guild was the least banged up from the dragon's attack, despite its terrible state.

There were movement inside the guild, she could see through the openings of the walls that still held in place.

"-any of the books that look intact pile them up outside. Agh, what a mess!"

"Did anything any of the books on spacial magic make it?"

"Just keep looking, got a few of the Ena series here."

"Do we have a full set?"

"No, few of the volumes are completely burned."

A few voices talked back and forth between each other, most of them she did not recognize except for one, Mio, as she had learned from talking to Solomon, the girl who she had met her first time in the mage's guild.

She approached from the side and lightly tapped on one of the walls to get their attention.

Little did she know that doing so would do a bit more than just get their attention. The wall was fragile and barely to be touched and in doing so, it began to collapse before them. The crumbling of rock and breaking of wood did a more than just turn the heads of those on the other side, it put them in a state of alarm.

There was a lingering silence between the group and her as they looked each other down, the sound of the rubble settling being the only thing making noise but even that stopped after a few.

"Hi, sorry about your wall, hehe..." Kami said waving her hand at Mio.

"You-" Mio's eyes widen as she walked past the others. "-you're the one from yesterday!"

"That's me!"

Mio's hand moved through the air like a swift strike. She latched her fingers onto Kami's ear and pulled her forward.

"H-hey!"

"You did this, ooooh the spirits are mad, veeeery mad, how are you planning to pay for the rebuilding of my guild?!" Mio snapped at Kami as she kept aggressively tugging at her ear.

"Pay? Me?" Kami was dumbfounded.

Her head bobbed back and forth from the girl's constant pulling but she barely minded. Kami was more stunned at the fact that somehow, she was being blamed for this.

"Yes you! You show up, did your little magic trick and my shop explodes."

"My shield? But that's how I saved us from the dragon's blast."

Mio released her ear from her grip but this time used both her hands to squish on Kami's cheeks. "Are you saying I owe you then?!"

Kami face was being treated like it was made of putty.

'She's awfully handsy.'

"No, it's not like that!" Kami exclaimed with a muffled voice.

One of the others finally stepped up, it was a scrawny looking guy, probably about their age but his meek appearance made him look younger. "I know you...you're that mage everyone in the city's been talking about. The one that single handedly killed off the dragon."

Mio's froze up but did not let go. She still firmly had Kami's face sandwiched between the palm of her hands.

"Yeah, that's me." Kami's muffled voice barely understandable.