The Problem With Siblings

I tentatively peeked into the library. Squirt and Koshi were in there reading, typical. Thankfully, they were each wearing their own clothes, and I quietly shuffled into the library.

"Hey sis." I awkwardly mumbled, bouncing on the balls of my feet.

"Not funny." Both she and Squirt chorused. It had become "tradition" for our Octopod family to start chewing each other out for a prank without saying hello.

"Alright, I'm sorry." I rolled my eyes.

"Did Dashi make you apologize?" Koshi didn't even bother taking her eyes off her book.

"Oh no, I'm absolutely willing to come and look at your ugly face for longer than I already have to." I grumbled sarcastically.

"Fine, if you don't want to look at my ugly face than leave, please!" The book hid some of the angry blush in her cheeks, but I could still see it.

"Gladly!" I stormed out of the library, but while I was at the door, I heard Squirt very meekly ask,

"Why do you two hate each other so much?" I carefully ducked out of the doorway but still at a distance that I could hear them. Was he really asking this?

"I don't know, we're siblings I guess. Why do you hate Pinto?" My sister shrugged.

"Yeah, that makes sense." Squirt agreed, "but you two never fight like that with Dashi."

"Because one, Dashi's our guardian; she has the power to put both of us in time out. And 2. Dashi's too nice to fight with." Koshi replied.

"I guess so, but why hasn't Jane fought with her at all?"

"Again, Dashi's too nice to fight with." Koshi shook her head at him. I only rolled my eyes and left the room. Squirt had been an only child for most of his life, and it showed.
—————————————————————-
"Hey! Saumensch!" I heard the sound of little penguin feet running to catch up with me. I stopped where I was and waited for him. As long as I wasn't racing him, I had time to stop.

"I'm sorry for getting you in trouble." He looked down sheepishly, and blushed bright red.

"You were forgiven this morning, Saukerl." I shook my head at him. Sometimes, he could be so thick-headed.

"Actually, Peso made me apologize."

"Wait? You TOLD Peso?!" I facepalmed as hard as I could after he nodded 'yes'.

"What? Was I not supposed to?" He really was clueless.

"No! Not at all! The reason I took all the blame was so YOU wouldn't get in trouble for it!"

"Oh," Realization dawned on his face, "But I'd feel bad if you took all the blame for something I did, Pendeja."

"Dummkopf, the reason I took all the blame for you was so you wouldn't have to get in trouble for what you did!" I repeated and pinched the bridge of my nose.

"I know, I just didn't want to leave you all alone to the monsters." And he winked, "Does that warrant a thank you, maybe in the form of, oh I don't know, a kiss?"

"Absolutely!" I smiled.

"Really?" He looked both shocked and disgusted at once.

"Not." I finished my sentence much to his utter relief, but his expression soon turned to one of mock sorrow.

"What does a guy have to do to get a kiss around here?" He pretended to pout.

"Close your eyes and keep dreaming." I flicked him on the beak, and he gave his head a little shake as I embraced him as tight as I could, still smiling like crazy. He was my baby brother, and I wouldn't trade him for the world. Ever.