The Darkest Hour

I sat up in bed, gasping. I glanced around to see that Tweak was asleep on a pile of cushions right beside me, so I bit back my tears and screams. My heart was going at twice its usual rate, and I felt cold beads of sweat make their way down my face and neck. For a second, I just sat in bed shaking, trying to push down the raging torrent of fear that was my emotions.

I had nightmares often, and they'd always left me a sweaty, fearful mess. Once my fear edged off, the shame began to take over; I was 9 years old, too old to be scared of nightmares anymore. It was around 4 in the morning, and all of the Octopod was silent.

I felt so small. I was just one puppy in the belly of a big ship in a huge ocean, in the massive world. I guess I was being louder than I thought, because beside me, Tweak began to stir.

"Jane, what-" She sat up, but then caught sight of me. "Oh, oh baby, come here." And she pulled me into her arms, "What happened? Did you have a nightmare?" I just nodded and wrapped my arms around her tightly. She took me into her arms and rocked me back and forth.

"Wanna tell me about it?" She asked gently, playing with my hair. I just shook my head. The problem was, I couldn't remember the dream at all. It scared me so much, yet I don't know exactly why. 

When I didn't answer her, Tweak simply held me in her arms and whispered, "Well, do you want me to stay here till you go to sleep?" I nodded and buried my face into her fur. She just held me tighter, her warmth flooding my every sense, and began to gently sing a lullaby. After a long while, I finally began to fall back asleep.

Next thing I knew, Tweak was calling my name and shaking my shoulder. I opened my eyes blearily and saw her sitting beside me on her bed. Laika was clutched in my paw.

" I saw that you'd left her in my workshop last night and thought you'd both get lonely, so I brought her over when you were asleep."

"Thank you." I had no words in my mouth for thanking her. She was my big sister after all.

"Alright, time to get ready for the day!" She rubbed her paws together and clapped me on the shoulder.

"Oh, I almost forgot." She snapped her fingers, "You only have one class today. Both Shellington and Peso canceled classes cos they've gotta do checkups on the Vegimals. Inkling still wants to have you for an hour though. I groaned. Out of all the classes I had, I'd always keep my fingers crossed that Inkling would cancel.

"I know, lil hellhound. Between you and me, I'd rather wear a dress in front of everyone than listen to Inkling lecture." Tweak winked at me. I grinned and got an idea.

"What if it was a pink frilly one Dashi picked out for you?" I asked, smirking.

"Oh, that's a hard decision." She played along, "I value my brain cells and wouldn't want to ruin them by listening to Inkling. Then again, I know Dashi, and I swore to never again get caught in her fashion schemes again. Anyways, time to head off to Inkling's class, wouldn't wanna be late!" And she rushed me out of the Launch Bay and toward the library to get ready for class. Here we go again. I already feel the boredom kicking in.