Chapter 71: Insane For You

Y'all are going to hate me after this chapter. 😅There will be a second book when this one ends :)

The rest of the year passed uneventfully, though Severus hadn't talked to me since our encounter in the hall. I had grown closer with my Gryffindor friends and they had introduced me to a few other Gryffindors, including Marlene McKinnon and Mary MacDonald. They seemed nice and we hit it off right away. The end of the year quickly approached and I was sitting in the Gryffindor Common Room with my friends. Our laughter filled the room, though it didn't last long when Sirius made a joke about Severus. My smile quickly faded and the atmosphere in the room quickly changed. I went to stand up but Sirius grabbed my arm.

"Sirius, don't."

"Y/n, I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking... I-I'm sorry. I thought you and him weren't talking and I wasn't thinking."

"Just because we're not talking right now doesn't mean it's okay, Sirius."

"You're right... I'm... I'm sorry, Y/n." He rubbed small circles into the back of my hand, carefully watching my eyes.

"Damn... Sirius Black actually apologizing?" I chuckled.

"Only for you, pup," he replied, snaking his hand around my waist.

"You're insane."

"And, again, I say, only for you." He brought one hand to the side of my face, gently holding my cheek.

"Sirius..."

"Y/n."

I chuckled as he said my name in the same tone that I had said his. His thumb rubbed circles into my cheek, softly.

"We'll leave you two, lovebirds, alone," Lily said, a small smirk on her face as she stood up, followed by the rest of our friends. By now it was only Sirius and I in the Common Room.

"Where were we, pup?"

"Nowhere. I was just leaving," I replied, pulling away, though Sirius still held my arm.

"Pup... I'm sorry for what I said about Sniv-... about Severus," he corrected himself as I shot him a glare.

"I wasn't thinking... but Y/n I'm sorry... truly. Please... don't go," he whispered, moving closer to me. Something fluttered in my chest and stomach as he moved closer to me, pressing his chest against mine. His hand was still cupping my face as he moved closer to me, his lips hovering just above mine.

"I'm sure Remus told you... but I like you, Y/n," he said, his breath fanning my face.

"Sirius..." I placed my hands on his chest, gently trying to push him away, but it was hard to push someone away that you cared so deeply for.

"Pup..."

"We can't."

"We aren't doing anything, darling... yet."

"Sirius," I breathed, my heart racing in my chest.

"Y/n... can I kiss you?"

In that moment I could no longer say no. I wanted to push him away... needed to push him away, but my body was screaming at me to pull him closer. It was as if every rational thought of how this could possibly hurt my friendship with Severus was being pushed out the door. Severus had pushed me away without even telling me why, hurting me so deeply that it was growing harder and harder to keep making excuses for him. Sirius searched my eyes carefully and his fingers traced small patterns over my arms. In that moment I could only focus on the feeling of his body pressed against mine.

"Yes."