Chapter 27: Slytherin Gang

I sat at the Gryffindor table as the first years were entering the hall, their eyes filled with delight as they watched the candles floating from the ceiling. The sorting didn't last long and none of it really interested me. According to James, we received 10 new Gryffindors, though I knew none of their names and couldn't even remember what they looked like. It seemed as if my mind was far away from where it needed to be. I looked across the hall, noticing Severus engaged in conversation with Regulus, Rodolphus, and three other people I had never met before.

"Hey," I said, looking at James. "Who are those people sitting by Severuus?" he looked up with a look of disgust.

"Regulus and Rodolphus?"

"No, the other three."

"Oh, that's Avery, Mulciber, and Evan Rosier," he said, spitting their names with disgust.

"How come I've never met them?"

"I don't know. Just be thankful you haven't."

"Why?"

"They are blood supremacists, Y/n... and... there are rumors that their families are followers of... Voldemort. There's no doubt in my mind they will probably join them... if they haven't already."

"But... why would Severus be hanging out with them?" I asked. This time, it was Lily who spoke up.

"Severus has been... really into the dark arts lately, Y/n."

"Is that why you haven't been spending time with us?" I asked, noticing how she quickly looked down.

"You're always with him, Y/n... I think it might be good for you to... get some distance... before you get hurt," Lily said, picking at the food on her plate.

"Severus would never hurt me."

"Not intentionally, no, but... Y/n... the company he keeps... It's dangerous. I noticed it at the end of last year. They are becoming more like a gang and... he's just... he's too attached to the dark arts." 

I looked down at my plate as she spoke, not meeting her eyes... not wanting the judgemental looks from any of my friends. I pushed around a piece of chicken on my plate, watching as it swirled in the gravy. I quickly stood up from the table, excusing myself, and headed to the Gryffindor common room. Thoughts swirled in my mind as I reached my room. Who is Tom Riddle really? How could he seem so nice but be so evil? What does he want with me? What do the Malfoys want with me? Why is Severus forming a gang? Why wouldn't he tell me about his obsession with the dark arts? I climbed into bed, trying to turn my mind off and fell asleep.