Chapter 33: Suspicious

The first few months of the year passed uneventfully but this didn't last. James, Peter, and Sirius had been working on becoming animagi to make Remus's transformations easier and they finally succeeded. They would transform with him each month and transform with him in the shrieking shack, using the tunnel underneath the whomping willow. They created nicknames for each other based on their animagi and Remus's wolf form: Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs. Everything was going smoothly until Severus started getting suspicious. We were sitting in the library, studying , when Severus spoke.

"Haven't you ever wondered where those four disappear to every month?" he asked me.

"What do you mean?"

"Potter, Lupin, Black, and Pettigrew... They always disappear once a month, sneaking out of the castle. Where do you think they go?"

"I don't know... maybe they have their period." 

Severus scoffs but can't help but let out a small chuckle at my idea.

"I'm serious, Y/n," Severus says as Sirius walks up to us.

"What're you talking about, Snivelly?" I rolled my eyes as Sirius spoke.

"You, actually," Severus growled.

"Lovely, my favorite topic," he replied.

"Just wondering where you and your little friends disappear to every month."

"Maybe you should follow Lupin under the Whomping Willow," Sirius joked. My eyes quickly shot up to meet his.

"Sirius!" I hissed.

"What? Little Snivelly wants to know what we are up to. Simply cast the immobulus charm and follow us, Snivelly."

"Shut up, Sirius!" I hissed, trying to keep my voice low. Sirius chuckled before walking away. I turned to Severus.

"Promise me you won't go! Promise me you won't follow him!"
"Y/n, why? What aren't you telling me?"

"Nothing! But you could get seriously hurt! You don't know what is down there! Plus, you could get expelled if anyone catches you! Promise me you won't go!" Severus sighs before simply nodding and turning back to his food. I simply hoped he wouldn't be dumb enough to follow Remus.

I was wrong.

That night I tossed and turned, sleep never seemed to come. It wasn't until the next morning I learned why I couldn't turn off my mind.

...

I sat at the Great Hall for breakfast that morning, waiting for my Gryffindor friends to take a seat. Remus walked into the hall looking particularly distraught. He took a seat next to me and I placed my hand on his arm, knowing how hard the full moons were for him. James and Sirius entered the hall looking pissed. They were whispering in a heated manner and I didn't understand what was going on. They took a seat across from Remus and I, eyes flashing with anger.

"What's up with you two?" I asked.

"Sirius is an idiot," James replied.

"Well, we already knew that, but what's up with you two today," I asked, laughing. James smiled briefly before his face grew angry again.

"Do you want to tell her, Sirius? Or shall I?" James asked, turning to Sirius, who simply looked away. James turned his gaze to me. "Our idiot friend here decided to lure Snape to the Whomping willow last night while Remus was transforming!" James hissed.

"What?! I made him promise not to go!"

"You knew about this?"

"Sirius was being an idiot and told Severus to go to the Whomping willow. He even told him about the immobulus charm, but... I made Severus promise not to go..."

"Guess little Snivelly lied to you," Sirius replied smuggly. I ignored him, turning to Remus.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, but... Y/n, he saw me turn... if he outs me, I won't be able to stay here."

"He won't," I replied, before standing up and making my way over to the Slytherin table, glaring at Sirius as I left. Severus was picking at his food as I walked over and took a seat beside him.

"Hey," I said. He didn't even look up at me.

"Hey," was all he said, his eyes still not meeting mine.

"Why can't you look at me?"

"You know why. I assume it's the reason you came over here after Potter and Black were talking to you."

"Why did you do it, Severus?"

"I had to know," he sighed.

"You could've gotten yourself killed, Sev."

"Would it even matter?" he whispered, his eyes filling with sadness as he looked away from me.

"Severus? What are you talking about?"

"Nothing. Just... forget about it."

"Severus... Please don't shut me out."

"I'm not." At this moment Regulus and Rodolphus walked over to us, taking a seat across from Severus and I.

"What's up, lovebirds?" Rodolphus asked. Severus looked away and I didn't know what to say.

"What's up with you two?" Regulus asked. "Don't tell me we are cancelling the wedding?!" Severus chuckled and returned his gaze to me.

"Never," he replied, placing his hand on mine under the table. I looked up at him, smiling.

"Well, that was easy. Now kiss and make up!" Rodolphus laughed. Severus turned bright red once again as I brought my lips to his cheek, pressing a soft kiss to his cheek. He lifted his hand, touching his cheek, directly where my lips had been.

"So, am I forgiven?"

"That depends... are you injured?"

"No."

"Then yes, you are forgiven."

"Wait... so if I would've been injured, you wouldn't have forgiven me?" he asked, smirking.

"Correct, Mr. Snape. Maybe eventually but you would've been groveling." Laughter broke out among our friends and I could feel my friends from Gryffindor staring over at me. James glared at Severus but he wasn't paying any attention, his gaze was focused on me and our friends. He was happy and I wanted things to stay like this... I wish things could've stayed like this.