Chapter 23: Friends

The final day of my second year had arrived and the castle was bustling with students preparing to go home for the summer months. I dragged my trunk through the corridor and toward the train. Severus and Lily waited for me outside the train as I took one last look at the place I called home before leaving it behind for the summer months.

The train ride was peaceful. My head rested on Severus's shoulder as he rubbed small circles into my back with his thumb. Lily entertained us by trying different flavors of Bertie's Every Flavor Beans. The faces she would make as she got a particularly nasty one made me and Severus laugh. As we were laughing, our compartment door opened and James, Remus, Sirius, and Peter entered.

"Aww, how cute," James said, gesturing to me and Severus. "Hey, Evans, what do you say about going on a date with me this summer?"

"In your dreams, Potter," Lily replied, scoffing. Sirius laughed as James scowled and took a seat next to Severus and I.

"Hey, Y/n," James says, placing his hand on my arm. I lifted my head off Severus's shoulder and looked up at James, curiously. Severus's hand remains on my back, protectively. Sirius's eyes flick down to Severus's hand and back to me, noticing how Severus is still holding onto me. He takes a seat next to James, saying nothing.

"Hey," I replied to James, not really knowing what else to say. I looked down, noticing James's hand on my arm before he slowly removed it.

"So... what are your plans for the Summer?" Sirius asks. I felt my body tense as fear coursed through my body. My uncle's face flashed in my mind and I quickly closed off my mind. I plastered on a smile before turning to Sirius.

"I don't know yet," I said, still holding the same fake smile I had grown so used to holding. "I guess it just depends on my uncle's work schedule." Sirius nods and I snuggle closer to Severus. He knew nothing of my home life and yet... It seemed that he always knew exactly what I needed. James and Sirius continued to stare at Severus and I while Lily watched the situation, cautiously.

"What?" I asked, my voice muffled as my face was in Severus's chest.

"Hmm?" Severus asked, looking down at me.

"I can feel them staring," I replied, lifting my head to James and Sirius. "What?" I asked, looking at them.

"What's going on with you two?" Sirius asked, staring at Severus's hand still on my back.

"What do you mean?" I asked, my face turning slightly red at what they were insinuating.

"Oh, come on, Y/n... Are you in love with him?" I froze as James's question hung in the air. Severus's hand stopped rubbing circles into my back... frozen in its place. I heard him swallow the lump in his throat, waiting for me to respond. Lily, James, Sirius, Peter, and Remus were all staring at me, waiting for me to say something.

"Do I love Severus?" I asked as they all nodded.

"Yes, I love him. He has been there for me through a lot. He is a close friend." I felt Severus's shoulders relax as I spoke and he softly exhaled.

"Then how do you explain this?" James asked, waving his hand at me and Severus. "He seems to be the only one able to calm you down, you guys are constantly holding each other... it's weird, Y/n." I felt Severus drop his hand from my back as he looked down. He played with the hem of his shirt with his fingers, his other hand laying limp behind my back, no longer touching me.

Shut up, Potter," Lily said, noticing Severus's discomfort. I looked up at him, noticing the way he looked away from me. I grabbed his chin and turned it to face me. There was sadness in his eyes and I grew angrier with James and Sirius at how uncomfortable this conversation made him. I placed my hand on his cheek as he stared into my eyes.