Chapter 42: Don't Save Me

I was walking to the Great Hall for breakfast when I heard footsteps behind me. I quickly turned around and raised my wand.

"Woah, Y/n... It's just us," Sirius said, holding his hands up.

"Y/n... are you alright?" Remus asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I lowered my wand and turned around, continuing to walk to the Great Hall.

"Y/n, wait up," James said, quickly jogging toward me, Remus, Sirius, and Peter following closely behind. "Will you sit with us today?" he asked me. I sighed, not really sure if I was ready to go down that road, but I nodded nevertheless.

"Sure, why not?" I replied. James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter all had smiles on their faces as we moved toward the Gryffindor table. From across the Great Hall I could see Severus, Regulus, and Rodolphus looking at me curiously. Rodolphus whispered something to Severus and whatever it was clearly annoyed him. I watched his lips move as he responded, though I couldn't make out the words they were saying. I watched as the two seemed to go back and forth. My attention was brought back to the Gryffindor table by Lily's squeal of delight as she jumped up and pulled me into a hug.

"Y/n! There you are! We missed you!" she squealed.

"Lily... air," I gasped as she pulled away and we broke into laughter.

"Sorry, I just missed you."

"I missed you too, Lily," I replied as I took a seat next to her.

I was eating a bit of bacon when I felt Remus gently touch my arm. I looked up at him and his eyes flicked to James and Sirius before flicking to the Slytherin table. I instantly realized what he meant. Severus was gripping his fork tightly in his hand as James and Sirius glared at him. I elbowed Sirius and he quickly looked away, elbowing James to do the same. Severus looked over at me and his eyes softened before giving me a half smile and returning to his meal.

"What was all that about?" I asked, turning to Sirius.

"Snivellus doesn't know when to stop staring."

"Sirius," I warned.

"Right, sorry," he replied, looking down.

I pushed my plate away and stood up from the table.

"Wait, where are you going?" Sirius asked, standing up and gently grabbing my wrist. Goosebumps formed on my wrist as his fingers gently brushed it.

"I'm just going to talk to Severus."

"Why?"

"Sirius, what's your problem?"

"I just... want to make sure you don't get hurt," he replied as he moved closer to me, bringing his other hand up to cup my cheek.

"Sirius," I breathed. "I'll be fine." I slowly pulled away, still feeling the tingling where his hands had been, and made my way toward the Slytherin table, taking a seat next to Severus.

"What's up, handsome?" I asked, jokingly. His face turned red and he turned toward me.

"You make it very hard to be angry, you know that right?"

I placed my hand over my chest in mock hurt before I smirked. "I know." I kissed his cheek and he froze.

"So what are we angry about?" I asked.

"We?"

"Yes we! If you are angry so am I. So, whose ass are we kicking?" I asked, rubbing my fists together, trying to make him laugh. I succeeded and he leaned in to kiss my cheek. His lips left a familiar tingling sensation on my cheek and I turned red. I could hear Regulus and Rodolphus holding in their laughter from the other side of Severus.