Chapter 34: Mudblood

This scene is Snape's Worst Memory, so a lot of the dialogue will be similar to the books. Obviously that part of it belongs to JKR. Not trying to get sued here. :)

Over the next few weeks, things went smoothly. Severus agreed to keep Remus's secret for my sake, knowing how much Remus meant to me. It wasn't until the middle of the year when things started to take a turn for the worst. Severus was reading under a tree in the courtyard when James, Peter, Remus, and Sirius walked up to him. I was standing near the lake with Lily when I heard James's voice across the courtyard.

"Alright, Snivellus?" he asked, loud enough for anyone in the courtyard to hear. I watched as Severus grabbed his wand, but before he could cast a spell, James disarmed him. Sirius laughed as Severus's wand flew into the air and away from him.

"Impedimenta!" Sirius shouted and Severus fell to the ground.

"How'd the exam go, Snivelly?" James asked.

"I was watching him, his nose was touching the parchment. There'll be grease marks all over it. They won't be able to read a word," Sirius said, laughing. Lily and I began making our way across the courtyard, anger rising within me as I heard Wormtail laughing. Severus struggled to get up as the spell held him down. I recognized the spell well... It was one of my uncle's favorites, apart from the cruciatus curse.

"You-- wait!" Severus shouted, still struggling to get up. "You-- wait!" I was running toward him, my eyes beginning to fill with hot, angry tears as I ran.

"Wait for what? What are you going to do, Snivelly, wipe your nose on us?" Sirius asked, coolly. I could hear Snape yelling from across the courtyard. A mixture of swear words and hexes left his lips but his wand was too far away and nothing happened.

"Wash out your mouth," James yelled before pointing his wand at Severus's mouth. "Scourgify!" he yelled.

"NO!" I screamed as pink soap bubbles frothed at Severus's lips and he began gagging.

"Leave him alone!" Lily yelled from next to me. James lowered his wand and his entire demeanor changed. I watched as Sirius quickly backed off, his eyes not meeting mine.

"Alright, Evans? Y/n?" James asked, his tone deeper, as though he was trying to sound more mature now that Lily had arrived.

"Leave him alone," I said, anger rising in my voice. "What has he done to you?"

"Well... it's more the fact that he exists... if you know what I mean," James replied. Several students nearby began laughing.

"You think you're funny," Lily said, seething. "But you're just an arrogant, bullying toerag, Potter. Leave him alone."

"I will if you go out with me, Evans," James replied. "Go on... go out with me and I'll never lay a wand on old Snivelly again." I turned toward Lily, her face was burning with rage. I had never even thought of James and Lily being together. They just always seemed to be friends, though lately Lily had begun to despise James as he grew more ruthless toward Severus.

The Impediment Jinx was beginning to wear off and I watched as Severus crawled toward his wand, spitting out foam as he reached his wand.

"I wouldn't go out with you if it was a choice between you and the giant squid," Lily replied. I tried to hold in my laughter as James's face fell, the rejection hitting him like a brick.

"Bad luck, Prongs," Sirius replied, before turning to Severus. "Oi!" he yelled, but it didn't matter. It was too late. Severus lifted his wand to James and a flash of light shot from his wand as a gash appeared on James's face. His robes spattered with blood. James quickly whipped around and lifted Severus into the air with his wand. Severus hung upside down as people laughed and cheered, while others watched in horror.