Chapter 24: Home

Once again, the summer passed pretty quickly. Most of it I spent locked in the basement as a punishment for spending time with Slytherins and the rest of the time I was unconscious. By the time summer ended, my body was covered in bruises but I knew where to go... it was just a matter of getting there. My uncle left for work around 7pm and I knew I had only 7 hours before he would return and we would leave for King's Cross only a few hours after that.

I heard the door slam and the car pull out of the driveway. I quickly pulled my body up from the floor and dragged myself up the stairs. When I reached the basement door, I opened it and stepped into the kitchen, the light blinding my eyes. I snuck into my uncle's room and pulled my broom from his closet. My heart was racing in my chest as I ran out the door and hopped on my broom, flying to Malfoy Manor.

I arrived at the door and lifted my sore arm to knock.

"Dobby! Get the door!" Lucius shouted from somewhere inside the manor. I heard the shuffling of feet before the tiny house elf opened the door. His face brightened as his eyes met mine but as he looked down, noticing the bruises on my body, his eyes darkened.

"Who has hurt Ms. Y/n?" the small house elf asked, tears in his eyes, though the rest of his face showed pure anger.

"It's okay, Dobby... I just need someone to get rid of the bruises before I go back to Hogwarts. May I come in?" Dobby stared at me for a moment before bringing me inside. He brought me to a room with the initials L.M. carved on the door. Dobby knocked on the door before a faint shuffling of papers was heard from inside the office. The door opened and an angry Lucius stepped into view.

"What is the meaning of-?" Lucius immediately stopped as he saw my trembling figure, noticing the bruises on my arms and face, the cuts that littered my body. The adrenaline was starting to wear off and I felt my body getting weak as my legs wobbled.

"Dobby, go get Narcissa!" Lucius ordered before I collapsed into him, my legs finally giving out.

"Y/n? Y/n? Look at me, dear, please," Lucius begged as he gently picked me up, being careful not to bump the bruises. He carried me across the hall to the guest room I was so familiar with and laid me down on the soft sheets of the bed. I heard running down the hall as Dobby and Narcissa reached the office.

"Where are they?" I heard Narcissa's voice ask from across the hall. Lucius quickly got up, going to the door and poking his head out, gesturing for them to enter the room. Dobby and Narcissa quickly ran into the room and tears filled Narcissa's eyes as she saw me laying there, shaking as the pain was finally setting in.

"How-? Yn... you said this wasn't happening as much anymore..." Narcissa asked, taking my hand in hers.

"I'm sorry," I choked as I looked into her motherly eyes. "I didn't want anyone to get hurt..."

"But, Y/n... you're getting hurt," she whispered, gently rubbing the back of my hand.

"Please... I don't have long before he comes home. I Just need you to get rid of these bruises before he returns from work and-." Lucius quickly interrupts me.

"Do you honestly think we are going to let you go back there!?" he yells. I jump and pull away from Narcissa as she shoots an angry look at Lucius.

"It's the last day of summer. I go back to Hogwarts tomorrow! He won't do anything tonight! I always wear long sleeves to cover the bruises so I'll do the same thing... only... this time I'll be covering the fact that there aren't any bruises... if you heal them. Please... I need you to promise me that you won't interfere. It will only make things worse and get people I care about killed." Lucius and Narcissa exchanged a tear-filled look as the overwhelming feeling of helplessness settled within them. They had no idea what to do. Narcissa turned to me before pulling out her wand and placing it on my arm. Once again, the cuts and bruises burned before the pain subsided and my arms were smooth once again.

"Thank you," I said, trying to stand up. "You'll have to teach me that spell soon."

"Y/n... we don't want you ever needing that spell again... we can't let you go back there," Narcissa soothes, helping me up. Though the cuts and bruises were gone, my body was still weak. She held up my frame before I steadied myself and pulled away.

"It's only a few more years... when I turn 18, I'll be free of him."

"But, Y/n..." Lucius started but I quickly interrupted him.

"No! I don't have a choice! If I leave, he'll just drag me back and torture me worse. He is my legal guardian and until I turn 18... I have to stay."

"But if we told someone what he was doing..." Narcissa tried, but it was no use.

"No! I already told you! He said if I ever told anyone... he would kill people I care about. You guys weren't even supposed to know! Please... he's dangerous."

"Y/n... he's dangerous to you, too," Narcissa replied, gently.

"It doesn't matter. I can't let people I care about get hurt just so... just so I can be free of him. I won't do that." I started walking toward the door before Narcissa stepped in front of me, pulling me into a hug. She pulled away and looked into my eyes.

"What can we do, Y/n?" she asked as she gently pushed my hair away from my face.

"You've done more than enough... just you being here is helping," I replied, smiling. "I promise... when this is all over I'll come visit in the summer, but for now... I have to return before he does." Narcissa nodded, unsure of what else to say before Lucius pulled me into a hug.

"We love you, Y/n," he said as he held onto me, not ready to let go. Tears filled my eyes as I had never heard that from anyone other than my friends, but this felt different... This felt as if I finally had a family. Lucius pulled away and walked me to the door of the manor.

"Are you sure there isn't more we can do?" Narcissa asked, tears in her eyes as the helplessness settled in once again.

"You've done more than enough," I said, smiling as they pulled me into a hug before I climbed on my broom and flew away, returning home and acting as if I never left.