Chapter 4: Lucius Malfoy and Narcissa Black

"What happens if we sit at a different house's table?" I ask Lily. I feel all our friend's eyes immediately fall on me.

"What do you mean?" Sirius asks.

"I mean... What happens if I sit at the Slytherin table?"

"Why would you want to?" Sirius asks, jealousy lacing his voice as he glares daggers at Severus.

"Because I have a friend over there..." I respond as if it's the most obvious answer in the world. Lily looks over at me and smiles.

"It isn't done very often but it isn't necessarily forbidden. It is more of an unspoken rule but it happens here and there."

"Not with Gryffindor and Slytherin!" Sirius responds a little too loudly. A few heads turn to look but the conversation doesn't seem to interest them and they return to their meal.

"He's right, Y/n. It isn't necessarily forbidden but it just doesn't really happen," James says in a much quieter voice.

"Good to know," I respond, slowly standing and moving toward the Slytherin table.

I can feel five pairs of eyes on me as I walk over and take a seat next to Severus.

"Y/n... what- what are you doing?" Severus asks, nervously.

"Sitting next to my friend... why? Is that a problem?"

"No... it's just... it isn't something people normally do."

"Well, it should be," I respond as I begin eating. A much older boy with long, blonde hair takes a seat next to us. He appears to be in his final year of school.

"And who is this lovely young lady, Severus?"

"This is Y/n. She's a good friend of mine."

"Hmm... a Gryffindor. How interesting... The hat took quite a bit of time to sort you, my dear. I'd be curious to know why..."

"You wouldn't be the only one," Severus muttered, chuckling.

"Lucius Malfoy," the boy replies, holding out his hand for me to shake.

"Y/n Y/l/n," I reply, shaking his hand.

"Yes, dear. I know your name. You have all of Hogwarts quite intrigued by you, my dear. Now, I can't say I've heard the Y/l/n name anywhere. Who are your parents?"

"Lucius!" Severus hisses, but Lucius ignores him and returns his inquisitive gaze to me.

"Oh uhm... I don't know them. I was raised by my aunt and uncle."

"Oh dear... and are they good to you?" he asks as he pushes a strand of hair behind my ear, almost in a fatherly manner.

"Oh uh yeah... well... My aunt died but things are great with my uncle. So, are you a 7th year?" I ask, trying to change the subject.

"Yes, I am." He looks up as a beautiful woman with blonde hair and blue eyes approaches. "Ah! Narcissa, darling. I'd like you to meet Y/n Y/l/n." The woman looked toward me and smiled.

"It's wonderful to meet you, dear. I'm Narcissa Black," she responds, holding out her hand for me to shake. As the two of us shake hands, Lucius Malfoy speaks up.

"Soon to be Malfoy. Right, darling?" he chuckles and Narcissa blushes as she looks down at the ring on her finger.

"You guys are getting married? Congratulations!" I exclaim.

"Thank you, dear," Narcissa replies. "Well we absolutely have to have you at the wedding!" she exclaims, beaming at me. "We'll send you an owl! Oh, I hope you'll be there!" I laugh at her enthusiasm and nod.

"I'll do my best," I reply, knowing there was probably no way my uncle would let me go. Narcissa and Lucius take a seat and we finish our meal. This was probably the happiest I had felt in a long time. I simply hoped it would last.