Chapter 19: The Truth and More Lies

The end of term was quickly approaching and there were only a few months left. The Malfoys had invited me over to their manor several times on the weekends. While there I was introduced to Bellatrix Lestrange, Barty Crouch Jr., and Antonin Dolohov. It was a sunny afternoon on a Saturday and I was sitting in the dining room, sharing a meal with the Malfoys, when I suddenly felt my arm start to itch. I quickly looked down and saw scars beginning to form on my arms. I quickly stood up from the table and Narcissa's eyes shot up to meet mine.

"Sorry... excuse me," I muttered, running upstairs to the guest room. I quickly closed the door behind me and ran to the mirror. I saw the scars my uncle had left forming on my arms and tears began to slip down my cheeks. Just say the concealment charm! I screamed inside my head, but my body felt frozen. Every memory of the torture came crashing down on me. I heard the door open and Narcissa walked up behind me. My body was frozen and I couldn't move. Narcissa gasped as her eyes scanned my scars and she placed her hand on my shoulder.

"Y/n...? Wha- How did this happen?" she asked me, gently tracing the scars as she turned me around to face her.

"Oh... I fell off my broom. Usually I have a good concealment charm, but I must've forgotten to refresh it this afternoon," I laughed, hoping she would buy my story. I heard footsteps coming upstairs before Lucius and Bella walked into the room.

"Is everything alright? What's-." Lucius instantly froze as his eyes met mine and traveled down to my scars. Anger crossed his features as he stormed over to me. I cowered slightly and took a few steps back. Lucius paused as he saw my shaking form stepping back.

"Y/n... How did this happen?" he asked as Bellatrix stepped beside him.

"I fell off my broom," I lied, hoping they would believe me. Narcissa placed her hand on my shoulder and gave me a sympathetic look.

"Y/n... we know that's not really what happened..."

"Who did this to you?" Lucius asked, growing angry.

"No one! Please, just let it go!"

"Y/n! You're being abused! We can't just let this go!" Lucius took a few steps forward and pulled me into a hug. "Narcissa, send an owl to Hogwarts. Get Severus over here, now."

"NO!" I pulled away, tears streaming down my face. "Please don't bring Severus into this! It'll only get him hurt, too! Please... just let it go!"

"Y/n... how would it get him hurt to know you fell off your broom..." Lucius asked, knowingly. "What aren't you telling us?"

"Please... you can't tell anyone... He'll kill anyone who knows... please."

"Y/n... what's going on?" Narcissa asked, tears in her eyes as she looked at Lucius, unsure of what to do next.

"Look... no one can know about this... I've already had to Obliviate a friend... I don't really want to have to Obliviate you, too... I need to know that I can trust you not to say anything."

"Y/n... you can't ask us not to say anything... someone needs to know."

"No! He threatened to kill anyone who knew! Please... just let it go."

"Look... we won't tell anyone about this, but... you can't go back there. We can't let you live there anymore."

"I don't have a choice! I can handle this! I've been handling this just fine for years! All I have to do is make it until I turn 18. He won't have any control over me and I'll be free."

"Y/n..." Bellatrix began but I cut her off.

"Don't! It will only make it worse. Please... just let it go! It doesn't happen as often anymore," I lied. Narcissa lifted my chin and stared down at me, unsure of what to say. She was searching my eyes, trying to determine whether or not I was lying. What she didn't know... was I have gotten extremely good at lying. When she found no sign I was lying, she let go of my chin and pulled me into a hug. A few moments later, she let go and turned to Lucius.