Chapter 59: Slughorn

"The person I thought of was Severus." A silence filled the room as the words left my lips. "But, it's complicated, Minnie. He's the person I thought of but I..." I trailed off, not knowing how to explain the overwhelming emotions flooding through me.

"But you still feel something for Sirius."

I nodded, looking away. Her hands still held mine as she began to speak.

"You'll sort it out in time, dear. I think you've already made your choice... I think you're just having a hard time hurting the other one." A few tears slipped down my cheeks as I thought of what would happen if I told Severus the way I felt. Sirius would never forgive me and Severus would probably reject me. It was one thing to joke about a wedding... but actually telling him I have feelings for him? That is a whole different story. Minerva stood up, gently pulling me with her.

"Come, dear. Let's get you some breakfast."

We made our way to the Great Hall and noticed the professors already seated. I moved to take a seat at my normal table but Minerva only chuckled and pulled me with her.

"Oh you come here. You don't really think we are letting you eat by yourself, do you?" her lips pressed into a smile as she dragged me toward the Professor's table, pulling up a chair between herself and Albus.

"How was your early morning stroll?" Albus asked, giving me a small wink. I nearly choked on my pumpkin juice and Minerva simply laughed.

"I told you he knows everything."

"It was fine, Albus. I watched the sunrise and we talked. It was nice."

"I'll be expecting more details later," he replied, giving me a small wink before returning to his breakfast.

As we finished the meal, the other professors began leaving the Great Hall, preparing to leave the school. After a few minutes it was only Albus, Minerva, Professor Slughorn, and I left in the Great Hall, though Slughorn seemed particularly interested in a book he was reading.

"So, tell me everything," Albus squealed. I quickly looked toward Slughorn but he hadn't even looked up.

"There isn't much to tell. I couldn't sleep so we went for a walk and watched the sunrise."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, get to the good part."

That's when it dawned on me.

"Wait a minute! Did you two plan this!? Taking me up to the Astronomy Tower and asking me how I felt... that was all part of your devious little plan, wasn't it?" I asked, sort of angry, though I couldn't help the small smile that spread across my face.

"Maybe... So tell me. Whose name did you say?"

"Albus... it's not that simple."

"Oh come on! Just tell me!"

"I said Severus, but-," before I could finish, I was cut off by Albus's squeal. Slughorn looked up from his book and his eyes locked with mine.

"Couldn't help but overhear... are you speaking of Severus Snape?"

I nodded, giving him a curious look. He placed a bookmark in his book, closing it, and placing it on the table.
"Ah! Wonderful student," he exclaimed, clapping his hands together. "Extremely gifted at potions. Albus, did I tell you he was the only student able to brew Draught of Living Death this year. Out of the entire class he was the only student able to do it."

My eyes shot up as he mentioned that particular brew.

"What did you say?"

"Yes, Miss Y/l/n. The only student from my 6th year class that could brew it! Amazing, isn't it?" he exclaimed. "He's quite the gifted student. Seems to have quite a knack for the Dark Arts as well."