Chapter 8: Jealous

The end of the year was fast approaching and I wasn't ready to go home. It seemed Severus wasn't ready to go home either, but he wouldn't say why. On the final day of the year, we were sitting on the train. Lily, Severus, and I sat in a compartment together discussing our summer plans. Severus and I mostly listened to Lily discuss her plans. She would ask Severus and I about ours but we kept quiet, neither one of us wanting to discuss the plans we didn't have. I couldn't talk about the plans my uncle had... the things I had to endure everyday during the summer months. I bit my tongue as Severus rubbed small circles into the back of my hand, sensing my discomfort.

"Aww, how cute," Sirius said, as he opened the compartment door, followed by James, Peter, and Remus. I could sense Remus's discomfort as Sirius moved to sit next to Severus and I. Sirius looked down at our hands intertwined and his face twisted in disgust. Severus saw where Sirius was looking and immediately let go of my hand, placing his hand back in his lap. I could feel tears beginning to well up in my eyes as my thoughts began to race. Was he embarrassed to be friends with me? Why did he let go of my hand? Severus looked over at me and discretely placed his hand on my back. Damn it, I thought to myself. My Occlumency blockers weren't up. I went to put them back up but before I could I heard Severus's voice inside my head.

It's not what you think... I don't want them coming after you. I looked over at him, startled. His eyes locked with mine and he gave me a slight nod. A smile spread across my face and I felt my heart swell with happiness. I had finally made a friend... someone who truly cared about me.

I don't care what they think, I responded to him. I placed my head on his shoulder and I felt his body stiffen for a moment before he relaxed next to me. Sirius huffed and walked out of the compartment, muttering to James on the way out. Remus took a seat next to me and placed his hand on my arm.

"I'm sorry about them, Y/n. If we're being honest... I think Sirius has a little crush on you. I think he's a little jealous of all the time you spend with Severus... Don't tell him I said this though!" I was shocked. I didn't know what to say about Remus's confession. I felt Severus's eyes watching me, waiting for a response.

"I won't say a word, Remus," I responded, patting his hand. "You're probably wrong, though. He just doesn't get along with Severus and he hates that Lily and I do," I continued, trying to change the focus off of me. There was no way Sirius could be interested in me... right? It's not that he wasn't attractive. He was in his own way, but I had never really thought about dating. I was still so young that the idea of dating had never really occurred to me. Remus stood up and left the compartment, leaving Severus, Lily, and I alone.

"You said you wouldn't do that again," I accused, looking at Severus.

"I'm sorry... it's just... you seemed upset and your thoughts were practically screaming at me. I just wanted to make sure you were okay." I smiled and nodded at his words, resting my head on his shoulder as Lily looked down at the book in her lap.

After several hours, the train pulled into King's Cross Station and we stepped off the train. Lily hugged me and ran toward her family. Petunia stood with a scowl on her face as Lily ran toward her mother and father, smiles on their faces. I turned to Severus, who was nervously looking around the station, waiting for his parents. I looked around the station, but couldn't see my uncle anywhere.

"Well... there they are," Severus said as he gestured to a man and woman I assumed were his parents. "I guess I'll see you next year," he said as he pulled me into a hug.

"Goodbye, Severus," I responded, trying not to let any tears slip from my eyes as I pulled away from the hug and watched him walk toward his mother and father. I looked around the station and my eyes locked with my uncle's. He was glaring at me and I quickly made my way toward him.

"I don't like to be kept waiting, you little brat," he hissed, grabbing my arm and pulling me behind him. And so it begins, I thought to myself as we departed the station.