Chapter 41: Forgiveness

As the weeks passed, I grew more and more distant from my friends. Even Regulus and Rodolphus were keeping their distance after Severus asked them to. I was walking through the corridor, not even looking where I was going when I bumped into a solid frame. A pair of strong arms reached out to grasp my body, keeping me from stumbling. Their placement on my waist felt like a familiar sort of heaven as I placed my hand on his chest, instantly knowing who it was.

"Y/n?" his smooth, baritone voice asked. I didn't look up at him, not wanting to ruin this moment of pure happiness. I knew once I looked up at him, it would all be over. His hands around my waist would quickly retract and he would leave me again. I pressed my body closer to his and placed my head on his chest, breathing in the familiar scent of spices and woods. His body tensed for a moment before he relaxed, finally giving in, and placed his chin on top of my head. He inhaled deeply and his chest rose against my head. We heard footsteps coming down the corridor but neither of us cared. He pulled me closer and his hands moved up and down my back. After a moment, I heard Rodolphus and Regulus whistling. Severus quickly took a step backward and I was left feeling empty once again.

"Oh, don't stop on our account," Rodolphus said, a smile spreading across his face.

"Definitely not," Regulus chimed in.

"Y/n, it's good to see you," Rodolphus said, as he and Regulus pulled me into a hug. "We've missed you." After a few moments they pulled away and turned to Severus.

"So, did you two kiss and make up?" Rodolphus asked. Severus looked away and I could swear I saw a single tear moving down his cheek.

"No," he replied. "It's not that simple."

"Oh, come on Snape. We all know you're miserable without her, so why don't you just admit it."

"Shut it, Rodolphus!"

Sev...?" I began but Severus turned his face away from me. "Sev, please look at me." He slowly turned his face toward mine and I could see tears in his eyes.

"These last few weeks have been hell, Severus... I need you in my life." The muscles in his jaw twitched as he thought about what to do.

Severus's POV

"Shut it, Rodolphus!" I spat, growing annoyed with his antics. I am trying to keep her safe!

"Sev...?" I heard her small voice begin, but I couldn't look at her. I felt tears begin to form in my eyes and it took everything in me not to break down right here. "Sev, please look at me," her angelic voice said. I couldn't help it. I turned to look at her, her beautiful e/c eyes staring back at me as I felt my resolve starting to give way. Stay strong, Severus. You can't be friends with her anymore.

"These last few weeks have been hell, Severus... I need you in my life," she begged. Every muscle in my body was screaming for me to turn away from her, to leave her with her friends, to just leave her... but I couldn't. I just kept standing here, unsure of what to do. Wanting to pull her into a hug, hold her, and never let go. I knew she was hurting and I hated that I was the cause of it. I hated that I was the one causing her pain after she had already been through so much. I sighed as I felt my resolve fully breaking, giving in to the need to hold her. I moved toward her and pulled her into a hug.

Y/n POV

Say something, I silently begged as he just stood there, watching me. Suddenly, without any warning, he moved toward me and pulled my body into his chest, his hands snaking around my waist. I was shocked but relieved as I wrapped my arms around his neck, resting my head on his chest.

"I missed you, Severus," I whispered.

"I missed you too, Y/n."

"Don't you ever do that again..." I murmured.