Ch31.5: YGGDRASIL?

Ainz's POV: - Note that at this point he is still called Momonga but for my own ease of use, I'll be using Ainz.

The game YGGDRASIL is finally shutting down after many years of being operational. It's been quite the ride. As the first true DMMO-RPG (Dive Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game), it truly has lasted for quite a while given all the newer content that has come out since then. Still, it's so successful that the mere mention of this genre brings it to memory. I will miss it.

As I stand, having said goodbye to my last friend within the game, I begin making my way towards the throne room. I command the nearby Pleiades to follow me and they obey as they were created to do. Much like this entire tomb or rather, dungeon, they were created by my friends and me. My allies, no my guild...good times. We were the most renowned players in the game, feared across the nine realms that the game operated within and yet, all that means nothing now. Over the years, members have left one by one to pursue real-life ambitions. I can't blame them, but I also can't help but feel a tinge betrayed.

Taking a seat on the throne, I command the Pleiades to stand by and they move to the side and kneel. Looking around the room, I reminisce about the old times as my eyes scan the banners of my friends and me. I recall all our last battle together and the joy we all felt.

Sighing, I continue looking around the room before my eyes land on Albedo who's been standing nearby all this time. She's one of the guardians created by my friends and me. An NPC if you will, and she's the head guardian. As she looks at me, I open her settings, trying to recall what they were. As I reach the end, however, I notice a line that catches my eye immediately.

Inside, she's a bitch.

Looking up, I almost find it hard to believe that such a beautiful character could be so contradictory but then, her creator did love contradictory characters. Still, since I'm already here I might as well have a little fun. After all, the game's about to shut down soon so I doubt anyone will mind. It's not as though they would suddenly start playing the game again anyway.

With this in mind, I erase that line and make it that she's madly in love with me

With this in mind, I erase that line and make it that she's madly in love with me. As I save this updated setting, I can't help but think of how childish I am behaving. Still, I might as well have all the fun I can. In a few hours, it will be back to the real world for me when I have to wake up at 4. If only the game would stay around a bit longer just to give me a place to escape to.

23:59:45

Ahh. Time's almost up huh? I better crash the minute it shuts down. Still, it was fun to be back, even if it was for the last time. I'll miss this place. Closing my eyes, I watch the timer run down until the last second, preparing myself for the shutdown. It really was a blast.

00:00:00

The timer hits 0, indicating that time is up and the game servers were supposed to shut down at that time but...I'm still in-game. As I open my eyes, I find myself staring at the throne room just as before I closed them. I briefly wonder if the devs have pushed back the shutdown time but also quickly notice that the timer along with all other onscreen interfaces are gone. There were there just a minute ago. What's happening?