Ch23: The Battle for the North

Rosetta's POV: 

Necron, the others and I simply stand back and watch the two dragons go berserk. Our forces had already moved up to complete our ambush but we just ordered them to stand aside and watch from a safe distance. There's no use losing troops unnecessarily to friendly fire. 

Necron: Should we stop them?

Me: No. Our mission is to eliminate their army. It matters not how the objective is achieved. 

Necron: I guess though are you sure they'll stop their rampage once they finish killing everything?

Me: They will. Even they aren't so far gone as to disobey the Queen's orders.

Ivory: [I have located their strongest warrior.]

Me: [The dragon?]

Ivory: [Yes. She's currently avoiding contact with both but she isn't attempting to flee. Should I eliminate her?]

Me: [If she's a true dragon as our intelligence suggests, she won't be so easily killed. Do what you deem necessary but don't get yourself killed. If anything, Cecillia can handle her when she returns.] 

Ivory: [Understood.]

The connection breaks and I update the others on Ivory's findings. With the dragon here on the battlefield, it'll be even easier than we had planned to capture their Emperor. Cecilia and Mai should be arriving in their capital any minute now and with their entire army fighting us this far away, it'll be too easy. 

Sure enough, the message soon arrives informing us of his capture and the subsequent elimination of any of the remaining fighters who dared resist. Cecilia never fails to deliver, as always. Looking down, I realise that the news must have also reached our enemy as the remainder of their army begins a hasty withdrawal. 

It had surprised me when they didn't withdraw after the initial attack but I suppose they figured it'd be better to fight an unwinnable fight here than at their city gates. Looking at it from an outside perspective, this is perhaps the correct thing to do since it can buy their people time to flee en masse but to my military mind, it's nothing but foolish to throw away your army like this. 

Looking once more at their retreating forms, I decide to leave it up to Morganna to finish her work, instead, turning to the new arrivals I only just noticed. Before I can deal with them, however, Lavina informs me that they are our allies. This stops my attack but doesn't immediately remove my wariness. Even as our allies, what are they doing on our battlefield unannounced?

Descending, I land before them and find various species staring back.

????: Sir Benimaru! This one is dangerous!

Me: Haha. You have nothing to fear of me unless we are foes so tell me, are you here as friends?

????: We came to provide our assistance but clearly, it wasn't needed.

Looking behind me at the battle he's gesturing to, I notice that the retreating army has already been eliminated as Lavina has also joined the fighting. Still, I can't help but notice that one person is giving them all a hard time. 

Me: Excuse me for a moment.

????: Of course.

This must be the dragon we've been told so much about. If she is then I must intervene. I can't risk having any of our numbers defeated in front of our allies. Yes, I need to end this quickly. With this determined, I stop at the edge of the ridge overlooking the valley into which the battle has spilt. Raising my right hand, I watch as a black smoke-like substance writhes its way around it before forming a ball in my outstretched palm.

With the ball now formed, it begins charging, sucking space and time in, causing miniature ruptures in reality before I finally fire it off with a single word, Tartarus. 

The resulting blast shatters the ridge I'm standing on but I use magic to stay afloat as I watch the now-massive projectile hurl across the battlefield at lightspeed. Morganna is the first to notice it approaching and quickly withdraws, pulling Ruby with her. Lavina and Ivory soon follow but by retreating, they alert the target who attempts to dodge. When it proves too large to evade in time, however, she switches to block it instead. This is exactly what I had hoped for and only watch with glee as it hits her head-on. 

BOOOOOOM!!!!!!

The destruction from impact is short-lived as soon, the ball begins sucking everything nearby inside. It's quite the useful skill and with the target at point-blank range, she's the first to succumb. Still, as expected, it doesn't kill her, instead, trapping her inside. Once it has run its course and successfully sealed her away, I recall it and finish her seal. She'll make an excellent gift to the Queen who'll decide her fate alongside her Emperor. 

Ruby: [We had it under control!]

Me: [I'm sure. You're lucky she wasn't taking the fight seriously or-]

Cecilia: [What did we miss?]

A sonic boom above the battlefield pulls our attention skyward just in time to see Cecilia plummeting from the heavens. As graceful as ever, she touches down smoothly, with Mai carrying the Emperor in tow. 

Me: All done?

Cecilia: All done. Apart from a few of their fighters, there wasn't much to stop us. 

Me: Does that mean we can secure the rest without much resistance?

Cecilia: Unlikely. Many powerful beings remained in the capital when we left. The army won't be able to defeat them on its own. We'll have to join the fight.

Me: No matter. We'll just suppress any resistance as necessary. 

As we finish our conversation, the group from Tempest joins us while the others continue commanding the troops to mop up any remaining stragglers. 

Cecilia: New friends I see.

Me: Oh, right. I believe introductions are in order.