Ch27: Retaliation

Rosetta's POV:

I awaken to the sound of voices. Opening my eyes reveal a slightly concerned Benimaru looking down on me. Sitting up, everything comes rushing back as I scan the battlefield. Dead, charred bodies are everywhere and there are massive craters in the ground. Nearby, Shion is attending to Ivory who looks even worst than I feel. Despite her efforts, however, Ivory remains unconscious. 

Struggling to my feet, I find myself collapsing back to the ground but Benimaru catches me before I fall and offers himself as my support. I accept the offer knowing full well I won't be able to move around for a while as my body recovers. Still, now that I am on my feet, the true extent of the destruction is clear for me to see. Nearby, Gobta and a few of the others that came with Benimaru are assisting nearby soldiers who are severely injured. Their assistance is welcoming but as I look past them and at the rest of the field, it becomes clear that we don't have the required numbers to help all the injured. Still, it is reassuring that there seem to be a decent amount of troops that can move around on their own. At the very least, we didn't lose everyone. 

Great Sage: [Notice: Five hours until full recovery.]

Five hours, huh? Could be worst, I suppose. Now that I think about it, what happened to the others. Ivory's here, unconscious but everyone else is missing. I turn to ask Benimaru about it but as I do, I notice Mai helping a limping Morganna towards us. Some distance away from them, an unscathed Emerald runs around helping soldiers that survived the attack. 

Me: How did you guys escape the attack? 

Gobta: Well, we were some distance away when it occurred. Sir Benimaru had us scouting ahead to ensure the path back to the main camp was clear when we saw beams of light coming down from the sky then heard loud explosions. By the time we got back though...

He trails off but I can fill in the rest. 

Benimaru: Unfortunately, we were unable to provide any assistance.

Me: No. Thank you. You've done a lot to assist us so far.

Benimaru: I-

He's cut off as a beam of blue light comes down from the sky a medium distance away from our location. Everyone prepares for battle, expecting another attack but as the light clears, we all breathe a sigh of relief. 

Lucille looks around at the destruction for a while, during which Morganna and the others make it to our location. Seemingly satisfied with her analysis of the situation, she walks over to us. Before we can speak, however, she raises her right hand toward the sky.

Lucille: I hope you're planning on explaining what happened.

She doesn't wait on our response, instead, turning away before conjuring what seems like Holy Magic. As she weaves it together, Great Sage confirms my initial analysis but before it can explain further, Lucille launches whatever she was working on into the sky. As it rises, rune circles expand to cover the battlefield before settling on all the injured. One comes down above me and settles on my skin. As I continue watching it, the circle is seemingly absorbed by my skin. The minute it vanishes, however, I feel all my wounds seal and a bit of my strength return to me. Looking around the battlefield, I notice that everyone that's still alive seemingly observes similar results. 

Lucille: Don't push yourself. I only healed your wounds. You'll still need time to recover. 

Me: Thank you.

Lucille: Well, I didn't exactly... never mind. So what happened? 

Ruby: An angel attacked us for no reason!