33. The family Dinner

Ready or not....here I go," Alina thought, walking into the dining hall where she saw the familiar faces of Victoria and Bryce.

Victoria sat down at the dinner table in her all glorious beauty, smacking on her gum noisy and playing with a few strands of her dark blonde hair while Bryson had his head down as he looked at his phone like it was his entire life.

"Bryce, get off your phone and look up." Miranda said, and he groaned loudly, but looked up.

The moment he saw Alina, he gave her a small smile which looked forced and bowed his head back down. Victoria flaunted her manicured nails around, whispering something in the ear of Bryson.

"Well look who's here. What a surprise, little sister. If I may ask, why now?" She asked Alina with no happiness in her tone, only suspicion and annoyance.

Since their childhood Victoria never really got along with her younger sister. In her eyes, Alina was just a competition to her, which is why she never really gave her the sisterly love she received from Ashley.

Alina didn't know how to respond to her venomous words. The tone she used had gave off how much she wasn't pleased with Alina's presence. It hurt her knowing that she wasn't really wanted, it was all a facade, but the hurt and betrayal she was about to give was way worse than a few words from her doll of a sister.

"Good to see you to, Vicki. It hurts a little to know you didn't miss me." She pouted, holding her heart like it was in pain.

"Oh, please. Stop that little game of yours. You might be able to trick everyone else but not me. I know your intentions for being here is far from lovely." She glared at her younger sister, making her shiver inside.

Many thoughts ran into her mind. "How could she sniff me out like some blood hound?" Alina thought.

"Please get along, at least for tonight ladies. I want tonight to be perfect for everyone, so be happy." Their mother pleaded with puppy eyes.

Victoria gave her a fake smile with a roll of her eyes. "Whatever mom, let's just get this over with...shall we?"

Alina sat down beside Ashley and Malinda, while Victoria sat alongside Bryce and across from Ashley.

They passed out the dishes full of different types of food, most of them Alina's favorites from her childhood. By the time everyone got their hands on the dishes, all of their plates were filled.

"So dear, what have you been up to these last few years. You seemed busy." Malinda asked her daughter.

Her breath hitched and her mind was running a marathon in a minute, trying to come up with a convincing story. Tristan and her went over a few different options for answers, but she knew her family could easily sniff out a lie if it wasn't told right. Especially Victoria. She was the goddess of lies, so she knew when you were telling one.

"Actually I got a job at black enterprises. I work as an assistant for the boss and my salary is well. I live a few hours away from here, but I'm currently staying with my friend." She told a half truth.

Their mother nodded and so did Ashley. Victoria wasn't falling for her lies, she knew Alina was up to no good. Bryce sat down, stuffing his face while on his phone.

"So, I had called some times. Why didn't you pick up?" Ashley question with a raised eyebrow.

Alina cleared her throat and looked down in nervousness. "I haven't been really...on my phone, lately. I had troubles with it starting so I just waited to get a new one."

"What friend are you staying with, and why? Don't you have your own home in the city?" Her mom asked in which she nodded.

"Yes I do, but he's sick, so I am staying with him..." She immediately blushed in embarrassment, her face giving away her lie.