31. Right around the Corner

Alina Pov:

I woke up hours later to the door of the room being opened. I've always had this alerting sense where my nerves would be uneasy when someone entered the same space at me.

Mostly, it was because of who I knew would be at the other end of the door. Just like then, I knew exactly who entered the room. It was none other than Tristan.

What gave me a little shock was that I knew it was him, but my nerves were calm. I was at peace with myself and all my feelings were numbed down till it was nothing.

The calmness I felt didn't last long, though. I softly asked the reasoning of him being in here, but his response erased all the numbness I felt. Realization, guilt and hurt filled me once again as I remembered the pain and betrayal I had no other choice but to inflict on my family, very soon.

"We should practice how everything should go for the dinner you set up with your family, so nothing goes wrong and no one unnecessarily gets hurt. It's two days from now.

I gave you time needed for yourself and to accept the actions you will have to carry out and do, willingly."

I gave him a dumbfounded look straight in the eyes. "What makes you think I'd ever hurt my family on purpose. Willingly, you said? Don't forget, I'm unwillingly doing this."

He sighed, an unrecognizable look in his eyes which he hid immediately, before I could try and figure out what it was.

"Either way, you will need to know what you are supposed to do as to get me your brother without any unnecessary attention or suspicions." He said flat but with a hidden threat which I caught.

I shuddered as his gaze on me intensified. Instinctively, I hid the strong effect he easily had on me, to keep as much self-confidence I could in this situation. I didn't want him to know how vulnerable I could be with just one simple, hard glance in my direction.

"Yeah, whatever." I replied, as nonchalant as possible.

I guess my reply wasn't good enough for him, because he grabbed my shoulder harshly and glared at me. It felt like at any moment, my shoulder could displace or break for the rough grip on it.

"You better take this serious, Alina. I meant it. Every fiber of my being has been very patient with you. The punishments you complain about are just the beginning of my wrath and what I can do. Don't push me, because the beast inside me is slowly rising every fucking minute you carelessly play games and disregard my warnings." He gritted with clenched jaws and dark eyes.

I stood there, trying not to take his words too seriously. His aura was definitely terrifying and intimidating to many, including me.

My knees buckled underneath me, making my legs weak. If it weren't for the hard grip on my shoulder, holding me up, I would've been on the ground by now.

He squeezed my shoulder a little harder, causing me to wince painfully and a low shriek escaped my mouth. Noticing my state, he released a little, but I could still feel the pain shooting there.

"Do you understand me?" His voice felt like daggers shooting inside my body.

I stammered out a short and low, "Yes", which he seemed unpleased with.

"I'll ask this again, and I want you to mean yo-" I cut him off with a loud "Yes" and begging eyes that urged for mercy on my shoulder.

He didn't fall for it, and instead replied with a cold and curt, "Say it again..."

I didn't waste a minute to do so, and continued repeating the same word over and over again, each time a little more urgency and honesty.

"Real words, Alina," He said, still not pleased with my answer, obviously.