Chapter 38

Aziraphale gently laid Eden on her bed while Crowley entered the room with his arms filled with towels and a wash basin. They couldn't stand to see their daughter in her current state any longer.

Gabriel sat on his bed in the guest room, staring at the barrette in his bloodstained hands. His head spun as he struggled to comprehend what had happened....and what he was feeling...

He had no idea how long he sat there on the bed, staring down at the barrette in his hands, tears falling, until he heard a soft knock on the door.

"Come in..." Gabriel said, quickly wiping the tears from his eyes as Aziraphale opened the door and stepped into the room.

"Gabriel." Aziraphale said. The angel had changed his clothes, he was now wearing a casual shirt and pants. Aziraphale saw the tartan bow barrette in Gabriel's hands.

"I found it on the ground at the Airbase...." Gabriel rasped as he held it out for Aziraphale to take. Aziraphale walked towards the bed, kneeling in front of the Archangel. "Keep it dear. She would want you to have it." Aziraphale closed Gabriel's hand into a fist; the barrette now belonged to him.

"Aziraphale...I can't...." Gabriel began as he set the bloodstained barrette on the bed next to him.

"I insist Gabriel." Aziraphale replied.

"No...not that...I mean...I can't....I don't....I should leave..." At first, Aziraphale was at a lost for words. He had never seen the Archangel, who was so confident and prideful...so...broken.

"You are not going anywhere my dear, I won't force you to stay with us, of course, but I do insist that you stay. You'll be safe here and....it's what she would have wanted. As long as you are under this roof, we'll take care of you."

Overwhelmed by all the tumultuous emotions coursing through him, Gabriel broke into wracking sobs. Aziraphale wrapped his arms around him tightly, hoping to give the distraught Archangel some comfort.

"I'm sorry Aziraphale....I'm so so sorry..." Gabriel sobbed into Aziraphale's shoulder.

Aziraphale hugged Gabriel even tighter as a fresh wave of grief pierced his heart.