32. Double Yikes

I wake up late the next day, my eyes hurt from crying and my heart hurts from Mikey. And Gerard. I look out my window and it's still nice and cloudy outside, just no more rain which is sad. I reach my hand over and turn off my lights before getting up out of bed. It's Saturday which means Gerard is working later at the record store, so heading to a bookstore or the comic shop will be fine. I head to my closet and grab a pair of skinny jeans and change out of my pj pants but as I look in the mirror I can't bring myself to change my shirt just yet. So I tuck his sweatshirt into my jeans and grab a belt to make it fashionable.

I grab socks for my converse down stairs along with my wallet and head to the kitchen. My dad is asleep on the couch and my mom is probably in her office. I grab a granola bar and pour some juice. I just feel out of place right now, too many emotions happened last night. Once I'm finished I pull my shoes on, grab my house key and head out the door. I go to the local bookstore that is about a 15 minute walk from my house and is nowhere near the record store. I don't think I can look at Gerard right now. I mean sure I didn't tell him outright I have a crush on him but, god, I think it was really obvious. Especially after my dumb comment last week at the Batcave. The boys probably figured it out too if Gerard mentioned anything of our argument. Mikey knows now. Everything just kind of feels like hot garbage and I don't want to deal with talking to anyone.

I make my way to the little book store hoping to spend a few hours just alone. I enter the shop and browse around looking for something good to sit and read and take me out of today. So I find a copy of Alice in Wonderland and head to grab a seat on the little indoor balcony on the second floor. I sink into the plush seat and start reading.

~

"Excuse me, is this seat taken?" I look up at the voice, it's a cute boy hopefully around my age with grey blue hair and icy blue eyes.

"Uhh no, it's not." I say, I'm about halfway through the book at this point almost to the Looking Glass part of the book.

"Awesome," He says taking a seat next to me. I take a moment to take in his look. He's got on dark jeans and a pink floyd shirt on, his blue hair is in some hipster haircut and his jeans are cuffed at the bottom.

I look back down at my book. Why the fuck did this hot guy sit next to me? Like what is the point?

"Nice book choice," he says settling into the chair.

"Thanks," I responded shortly only because boys aren't trustworthy at this age and he looks like a bit of a fuckboy.

"I think the Tim Burton movie was better than the disney animated one. Tim Burton is a genius." He smiles, showing off his perfect teeth.

I raise an eyebrow, alright fuck boy has taste. "Tim Burton is in fact a creative genius. Although the live action movie is very cartoony in its own way."

"That's so true, I can never get over Helena Boham Carter with a giant head like that." He laughs. "I'm Dominic, by the way." He reaches a hand out to me.

"I'm Y/n." I shake his hand gently. Don't wanna get fuckboy germs.

"That's a nice name. I definitely thought it was going to be something more witchy though. I feel like you put a spell on me." he gives me a charming smile and a wink. Considering how shitty I felt this morning, his what would be lame attempt at flirting is actually pretty clever and sends a blush to my cheeks.

"But I assume a pretty girl like you already has a boyfriend yeah?" He gives me a sad smile.

"Uh no, I don't." Why the fuck did I just say that? I like Gerard even if he doesn't like me back. What the fuck made me admit to not having a boyfriend?

"Oh, that's a shame." He looked down then back to me. "Would it be too forward of me to ask you out to coffee?"

"No that would be fine, I think." Um excuse? Why am I agreeing to this? What the heck. I'm sad not desperate. But who knows... maybe a bit of attention could cheer me up. I guess...

His eyes lit up and a smile spread across his face, "Oh great! Would now be a good time or later. I can wait for you to finish reading if you want." Whatever about him screamed 'fuckboy' seemed to melt away and be replaced with a puppy like innocence.

"Oh uh, we could go now. I've already read this book a bunch." I smile shyly at him. Time to treat myself to coffee and compliments!

"Wonderful!" He got up reaching a hand out to me. I took it and stood but he didn't let go once I stood up. A bit weird but he's kind of like a puppy so I guess it's okay. "There's a cute coffee shop around the corner we could go to."

"Uh yeah sure. Let me just put this book back first." I said showing him the Alice in Wonderland book still in my hand.

"Oh let me put that away for you," He smiles down to me a little too wide before taking the book out of my hand and disappearing from the balcony.

I wait a moment looking around. Wow. uhh a date? Really Y/n? So fast after you argue with your best friend and get accused of sleeping with his brother. And then ya know admitting you had a crush you weren't gonna do anything about anyway? I guess a pity date is fine, even though its self pity and not him pitying me. Wait am I gonna break this dudes heart? Just cause my heart hurts?? Oh geez thats shitty of me.

"Hey, I'm back. Let's go get that coffee yeah?" Dominic said, taking my hand in his immediately.

"Oh cool, yeah let's go." Maybe it's not shitty of me. I mean he is cute and nice. Maybe this is fine?

"Wonderful, baby doll."

My face scrunched up slightly at the new nickname. Wasn't expecting him to say anything like that. Umm not sure how I feel about that. "Uh, yeah."

He seemed to not notice my reaction or at least ignored it. He squeezed my hand softly as we left the second story. It felt kind of nice to receive affection so publicly but also so odd because this isn't Gerard.

~

We sit together at Starbucks a few doors down from the book store and just talk. Getting to know you question but also just talking about our lives. Dominic's been on his own for a while and misses his friends and family but he knows he's better off without them. He keeps calling me baby doll, but it's not bothering me as much now as it did earlier. Especially after we started getting into the heavy things going on in our lives. He told me about how his family disowned him and that they see him as a monster because he chose to change his diet and be an omnivore instead of a vegetarian. Seems pretty harsh to me, it's just food. It doesn't justify seeing someone as a monster just because of what they eat.

After unloading onto Dominic some of what happened with Mikey and I, he offered to be my ride to school for the week. Which is surprisingly kind of him especially considering we just met, but it feels right so who am I to argue his kindness. Especially because this makes it easier for me to avoid Gerard too. He didn't seem to mind too much about the 'me having a crush on someone else' either. Maybe he's lonely like I am and just looking for company.