29. Distanced

Monday rolls around and I have not heard from Mikey the whole weekend. He's probably just been hanging with Pete or Gerard. But it's weird not getting any texts from him the whole weekend. The car ride to school that morning was only awkward when Gerard and I would stop talking and be left with absolute silence from Mikey. He wouldn't even pipe in when we were talking about the band they wanted to start. The minute we got to school he ditched us. Gerard and I both agreed he was being odd.

Even in Math Mikey didn't look at me or even acknowledge that I was sitting next to him. The teacher had us pair up for some bullshit homework check and he ditched me! I'm furious and I think Mikey can tell but he's not acknowledging me! The class is over after what feels like hours and we all head out. I decide its now or never to ask that loser what's up.

"Mikey? Is everything alright?" I ask as we walk to our lockers. I'm trying to be kind but I'm sure my irritation comes through a little.

"Yeah, just like. You don't." Mikey looks down before turning to look at me. "You don't like Gerard, right?'

"Uh as a friend?" I ask feeling my cheeks heat up despite trying to force them not to and remember that I'm mad at Mikey.

"More than a friend." Mikey says staring into my eyes.

"No, we're just friends." It's true. We're just friends. But it's a lie cause I have a crush on him. FUck.

"Mm," Mikey turns and opens his locker.

"Why?" I ask, slowly putting in my locker combination.

"Just wondering. It would be weird, don'tcha think?" Mikey says grabbing books and his lunch.

"Yeah, totally. He's your brother." I say looking dead into my locker hoping I don't give myself away.

"Cool, just making sure." He says flatly before walking away from me. He didn't even bother to say bye. What is wrong with him?

I watch him walk away with a look of confusion on my face. I sigh and grab my lunch and head out to the courtyard to meet up with Kristin and my band boys. The rest of the day Mikey was giving me a cold shoulder. Not something I'm used to from my best friend! I'm used to his stoicness and pretending like he doesn't care but the actual cold shoulder and him ignoring me is new. Even on the ride home he didn't say anything, to me or Gerard. Gerard definitely knew something was up. We texted about it later but neither of us could figure out why.

~

It's Wednesday now and Mikey is still being distant. Gerard has not been able to figure out why, even with his super hearing. I guess Mikey isn't complaining to any of his friends that come over. He still won't talk in the car and just ditches us the minute we get on campus. Math is still deadly silent. Mikey acknowledges me but I can tell something is up. He hasn't sat with me and Kristin and the boys at lunch. Gerard said he was ditching them too. Music theory was the first time Mikey talked to me since Monday.

"Hey, Y/n. Are you dating someone?" Mikey asks.

"Uh no why? Did Patrick ask you? Cause I swear," I start.

"No, no. I was just wondering. It seemed like you were seeing someone."

"Oh," I look up at him. "Nope. Single like usual. I would tell you anyway, Mikey. Ya know, if I was seeing someone."

"Yeah?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Of course."

"Alright," He shrugs before turning back to his notebook.

I stare at him for a moment. "Are you sure you're alright dude?"

He glances at me before looking back at his notes. "I'm fine."

I look at him in confusion before realizing I will get nowhere with him and look back to my own stuff. Mikey is being cryptic and awful. I don't understand why he's being this way.

The rest of class goes by without either of us talking. I head out on my own and finish up the last of my classes before finally heading to my locker to put my things away.

"Hey Y/n!" I turn and see Frank waving at me, walking up with Ray and Gerard.

"Sup losers," I smile at them once they get to me.

"I know that doesn't include me, nerd." Frank smirks at me.

I just roll my eyes as Gerard and Ray chuckle to themselves.

"What's up guys?" I ask, putting my shit away in my locker finally.

"Welllll, ya know how we have game night sleep overs?" Frank asks, leaning against the locker next to me.

"Yup, and how you guys stopped including me in them after like 8th grade." I smirk sarcastically at him. While I hear Ray chuckle behind me.

"Yeah, yeah, you're a chick and we wanted boys time." Frank waves me off.

"Okay then why are you bringing it up?" I throw a hand up in confusion.

"Well," Ray spoke up before Frank could say anything else. "We wanted you to come to this one. Like old times" Ray smiles sweetly at me.

"Really?" I looked from Ray to Gerard for reassurance.

"Yup," Gee shrugged. "Figured you should be allowed back into the group senior year."

"Oh was this your idea?" I poke Gerard in the chest. "I should be worried then, yeah?" I chuckle smiling.

"It was all our idea. I mean we talked about it." Gerard said defensively.

"Yeah, Ray actually thought of it. Plus Mikey's been begging for the last year to have you back so we figured why not." Frank shrugged next to me.

"Hmm I believe the thing about Mikey, I guess." I narrow my eyes playfully. "So what day is this shindig?" I close my locker before fully turning to the boys again.

"It's Friday. So that's a yes right?" Gerard smiled.

I look from him to the other boys, Ray smiling at me and Frank pretending to not want me there. "You're asking me very short notice. I might have plans." I shrug, looking at them as seriously as I can despite the happiness in me.

"Come on!" Frank whined.

"Yeah you're only plans would have been with me anyway." Gerard says before realizing what he said. "Or Mikey or Kristin. You're definitely free." He says awkwardly trying to cover up for the fact we actually hang out a lot.

"Please join us," Ray says sweetly and completely ignoring Gerard's awkwardness and the look Frank is giving Gerard.

"Anything for you Ray," I laugh. "Now let's get out of here. Yeah?"

'That's rude as fuck," Frank points at me. "But yeah, I'm so over being in prison."

"Oh you have no idea what they would do to a guy like you in prison, Frank." Ray comments chuckling lightly.

"That's so dark Ray," I say laughing, surprised by Ray's comment.

Ray just shrugs. "It's true. That twink would be demolished."

This sends Gerard and I into a fit of laughter as we try to make our way out of the school. Frank just yells about not being a twink, he's just short and how he's a top or whatever. Which gets Ray laughing along with us and we are in tears by the time we make it down to the cars. We continue poking fun at Frank till Mikey and Kristin arrive and we decide it's time to finally head out and leave hell.