Chapter 122: You Were Made For This

Start from the beginning

"Thank you Seth."

David takes a deep breath turning off the tv. "What the hell were you thinking Jennifer? We told you not to reach out to him."

"I know, I know I just needed him to know how I felt."

"Well now everyone knows how you feel. I'm sure your entire career you've heard the saying women are too emotional to lead. Thank you for playing right into that stereotype."

"Do not chastise me. That audio was heavily altered and he's never had a lawyer in his life. I didn't think he was capable of this."

"It doesn't matter. Your voice is on the tape wishing your father ill, saying you aren't going to financially support them, calling Trant voters rednecks. This is the deplorable scandal all over again but 10 times worse."

"So how do we fix it?"

"You listen to us this time", he says pointing to my attorneys and PR team as they gather in my home.

**********

I got a brand new attitude

And I'm gonna wear it tonight

I wanna get in trouble
I wanna start a fight
Na-na-na-na, na-na, na
I wanna start a fight
Na-na-na-na, na-na, na
I wanna start a fight!

So, so what?
I'm still a rock star
I got my rock moves
And I don't need you
And guess what?
I'm having more fun
And now that we're done
I'm gonna show you tonight

I stride faster and faster as my heart pounds against my chest.  My ponytail sways in the wind as I push further down the street.

Hearing faint voices through my AirPods I stop the music and turn around.

I see Frank bent over panting as my security detail tries to help him catch his breath.

"Jenn please slow down. I'm old, are you trying to kill me?"

"I told you that you could sit this one out."

"No chance. Especially with you being upset."

"I'm not upset."

"Jose give us a second?", Frank says asking him to step away.

"What is it Frank?"

"You've been going 100 miles per hour since your pops pulled that little stunt, and I'm not talking about your running. You need to slow it down. You've been through some heavy shit this past year, no one would hold it against you if you took the time to get yourself right."

"Frank I'm fine. And it's sweet that you think I could possibly afford to take anytime for myself right now. I'm at the peak of my career. People are counting on me. I'm not giving up on something I've always wanted because my father wants to be an asshole."

"I don't think I said give up did I?"

"Are you of all people really going to give me a moral lesson? You murder for sport and go on about your day like nothings happen."

"You know that's not who I am anymore. Ever since I left the service I've tried to turn it around. That's how I know the value in taking time for yourself."

"You we're just that person a couple of months ago. Everyone is a fucking hypocrite. You, my father, Rachel. You hold me to these impossible standards while you're all free to do the same things you criticize me for. It makes me feel so small", I begin to cry.