9 - Romance

9

Romance

Tuesday Evening, May 18

Jordan left the albergue, made a quick stop, then walked over to Greta's. The door was ajar when he knocked. He entered when he heard her invite him in. He closed the door and walked toward the kitchen. Then Jordan looked at Greta and said, "Wow."

She smiled in appreciation. "That's the reaction I was hoping for." Greta's hair was down, parted in the middle, her sun highlights sparkling. Her dark brown eyes smiled, and she stood on tiptoes as she reached behind his neck, pulling him down for a long kiss that left him breathless. "Are the flowers for me?"

"Of course. And Greta, you look stunning. As I've gotten to know you better, each day you have become more beautiful to me."

"Well, that is one of the nicest compliments I have ever received." She gave him an even longer kiss, this time letting her tongue explore his mouth. She could feel him shiver. "Let me put the flowers into a vase."

Jordan looked at her as she opened a cupboard. She wore pearls everywhere. Besides the earrings, she had a few dozen on a necklace, a bracelet that held more encircling her right wrist, and a thin gold chain anklet with a single pearl at the base of her left leg. Her dress was a pearl white color as well, a stretch satin material that clung to her. The back fastened high near the neck, but the dress was short, above mid-thigh, and tight, showing off her figure to advantage. She also wore six-inch heels, with pearl white straps that wrapped around her slender ankles. But the front of her outfit was mesmerizing. There was a slit from her neck to her navel, showing only a line of her tanned skin. Somehow she was evenly brown everywhere. A narrow cord connected the fabric between her breasts, and a second tied it at the collarbone level. "That may be the most captivating dress in the history of the world."

Greta smiled again, finished putting the flowers with water in the vase, and walked back to him. "Jordan Everest, you must have drunk some special potion. You are saying exactly the right thing every time." She put both hands on each side of his face, pulled him down again, and began what might have been a world-record kiss. Jordan came up for air, then he reached behind her with both hands on the small of her back, gathering her to him. This time Greta needed to catch her breath. "I want you to know I am very glad you are here," she said.

"I may not be very intuitive, but I get that." He moved his hands to her shoulders and smiled.

She said, "You look wonderful. I wanted you to be casual, but I needed to dress up for you tonight. And if it's okay, we are not going anywhere." She pointed to some trays on the counter. "Room service. I want you all to myself." She thought that she wanted to ply him with just enough alcohol and lower his inhibitions some.

"Fine with me. My preference also."

She wants me. This is happening.

She smiled. "I have everything planned. Tonight's meal combines German and Spanish influences."

"I am an appreciative guest."

Greta lifted two small shot glasses that were filled with a clear liquid, and she gave him one. "Okay, we begin with peppermint schnapps from Germany, but with a Spanish toast. Salud." They clinked glasses, then she tossed hers down, so Jordan did the same. He felt a warm glow. "Next, some tapas, the Spanish appetizers."

They sat near each other, knees touching. She poured him champagne, and he made the toast. "To life." Greta fed him calamari, an olive, and some vegetables, then ate some herself. She looked fetching as she put food slowly inside her rose-colored lips. And as she fed him, Greta did so while always touching him. His arm, his cheek, his lips. They ate and drank slowly, and he felt his longing grow.