34 - Dance

34

Dance

Thursday, June 17

 In Spanish class, everyone was polite, but they showed restraint, letting Luis recover from Spain's loss. Even Johann, the Swiss, held off from teasing or gloating. Spain had been a huge favorite. There were several others who'd pulled for Espana. They were disappointed. But the concern showed on their professor's face.

After class, Jordan and Grace walked back to their albergue. Grace said, "I would like to suggest a change regarding our dinner plans for tomorrow."

"What's that?"

"I'll cheer for your American team at four. But then, instead of buying me dinner, I'd like you to bring a bottle of wine over to Mary and Robert's place. I'll host a meal at their apartment. After we eat, how about if you and I go out dancing tomorrow? After last night's inspiring demonstration, I'd like to show you a place where we can do a little ballroom dancing together. But you will have me to perform with rather than your invisible partner yesterday. Sound okay?"

Jordan grinned. "Well, my impromptu imaginary companion was light on her feet, but not much of a communicator. I would love to have a real partner and would be honored to go dancing with you. That sounds wonderful. I accept. I feel a little nervous because it's obvious you're at a different level from me. But it would be fun."

"You'll do just fine, Jordan. It will be a joy for me too. I always love dancing." She smiled and he nodded.

Friday, June 18

Diego Palafox, the teaching assistant, arrived at the beginning of Spanish class by waving his country's flag. "Viva Mexico. We are stronger than France!" His team had beaten the French soccer team 2-0 last night.

A student from Paris looked sad but rallied. "Our team may have lost, but this class provides other examples of the superiority of the French to the Mexicans! At least until we begin today's final exam."

The class laughed at his resilient attitude, the support of his country, and the reminder that Diego would do most of the grading of their last tests.

Professor Luis thanked them for their energy during the last two weeks of his course, wished them well in the future, and buena suerte on the final. They each took the test and departed after finishing.

*****

Slovenia, Jordan read, became its own country in 1991, when the former Yugoslavia broke up into smaller nations. It was north of Croatia, sharing a border with Italy, Austria, and Hungary. At the restaurant, he told this to Grace, and added, "They only have about two million people. The USA has more than a hundred times that. But kids in Slovenia are taught about soccer while they are in the womb. It's their passion. The country qualified for the World Cup once before, in 2002, so they're no fluke. And they beat Algeria last week. We'd better be careful."

"Since Americans speak English, even if it's a weaker form of our shared language, I'll support you."

Jordan laughed. "Grace, you are too kind."

His professor, Luis, walked by on the way to a table. "Buena suerte, Americano."

"A mi no importa quien gane," said Jordan.

Luis laughed.

As if he'd believe I don't care who wins.

The game was exciting. From Jordan's perspective, almost too much so. Slovenia scored after only 13 minutes, then again before halftime. Grace could see Jordan was worried, so she didn't tease him, well at least not much. The US coach made a couple of substitutions and their team did better in the second half. Their star, Landon Donovan, blasted a strong kick high and on target to give them hope.