30 - Burgos

30

Burgos

Sunday, June 13

"C'mon feet. Don't fail us now," said Bayou.

"Yeah. Just twelve miles to Burgos. Then we'll give you sandals for three days. We promise," said Delta.

"So toes, stop complaining for now, please," added Makena. "Just get us there, we'll rest, and then we will 're-boot', so to speak! Help us now and we'll return the favor." All three smiled and grimaced together.

They moved slowly. Their blister pain, intense at first, became more of a dull ache, but it remained with them all morning. When they stopped for the usual cafe con leche and Spanish tortilla, they took a full half-hour break with their shoes off. As they resumed, the first steps hurt until they put their minds into soccer mode, and just sucked it up. Makena thought of an analogy.

It's like being at the dentist without an anesthetic. Just relax. Focus on something else. It will be over in just another couple of hours.

The path ran alongside roads. The fields turned into suburbs and wound around an airport, which then morphed into the city of Burgos, population of about 180,000. They limped up to the albergue, grateful to be done. Taking off their boots, they assessed the damage. In some places, it looked like there were blisters beneath other blisters. At least none had filled with blood. A couple had popped for each of the ladies, but the skin flaps remained, barely held in place by tape.

Their daily routine after trekking remained the same, but they moved slowly through the steps. It was mid-afternoon before they were done with what they needed to complete, with their clothes drying in the sun for the next day. At least the weather was good again.

The twins considered going to mass at the cathedral but decided they would do so tomorrow instead, opting to do less. Makena read her history book. Bayou took her journal out, and Delta had a novel. They each lay on their bunks with their feet off the floor. They could almost hear their toes thanking them.

In talking with other pilgrims, they learned the World Cup had begun, that South Africa had earned a surprising tie against Mexico, and that the USA and England played a scoreless draw. There were bars and televisions available, but no game of interest for them today. Time to rest and recuperate.

Dinner was quiet. Bayou and Delta flirted with some male pilgrims a bit. Since they would stay in Burgos for three nights, many they had seen every day recently would move on ahead, so they mentally said goodbye. Neither twin was planning anything serious. But Bayou enjoyed talking with the Dutchman, and Delta had fun joking with the Belgian. It all added to their Camino experience.

Makena saw Giuliano and Jean-Paul, but neither approached her. She noticed that they looked in her direction and talked to a couple of other guys as if to warn them away from her.

Good. Leave me alone. I'm not here for some casual fling.

She talked some with her neighbors. There was an older couple from Korea she remembered from Granon, but she had not conversed with them there. He was maybe fifty, six feet tall, with short salt-and-pepper hair and dark-rimmed glasses. She looked to be in her early forties.

"What do you do in Korea?" Makena asked her.

"I taught English before our children were born. I am grateful that my husband's work permits me to remain at home with them for a few more years until each of them is either at university or has a job. So now I teach all three of our kids."

"I think children benefit when a parent can afford to stay home with them. They are fortunate."

"Yes, and so am I." She looked at her husband with love. "This is the first long vacation we have had together in many years. Since our children are all teenagers, they are spending the summer in activities they enjoy, sports and music. They are alternating with both sets of grandparents, who spoil the children, but it's fun."