35 - Castle

35

Castle

Wednesday, June 16

The twins wouldn't catch their flight until later and Makena planned only a short walk for the day, so they had time together. They hung out, ate breakfast, made promises, and shared a long goodbye.

"One of us will email you every day," said Delta.

"With an electronic hug attached," said Bayou.

Makena smiled sadly and said, "I'm already missing both of you. I can't believe it. You were supposed to be walking the Camino without me, and now it's just the opposite."

Delta nodded, "Everything happens for a reason. Our grandmother's fall saved her from the long, dreadful pain of increased difficulty breathing as her ALS progressed."

"Yes," agreed Bayou. "We believe you're supposed to continue alone. We've known you for two decades, and as Juan Luis said in Tosantos, you've always been the warrior. We're gonna improve on a trite expression. It's time for you to 'woman up', Sis, and we know you will. Delta and I believe in you."

"Well, as you reminded me, I'll have Javier and Penelope to keep me company," said Makena.

"And we're with you too," said Delta. "Anytime you need, think of us as we always have been and always will be. We have your back, and we're just a phone call away if you want to talk."

Bayou said, "Right. You're always with us in our hearts, and we're there in yours anytime you need us."

They looked at their phones and realized it was near departure time. They had each packed already. Makena had put tape over sore spots, just in case, but hoped her callouses would protect her feet. She tightened her laces as the twins double-checked their passports and wallets, making sure they had all their important items. Then they got up and shared a long group hug. They held onto each other, tears beginning to form.

"I love you Bayou and I love you Delta, not necessarily in that order."

The twins laughed. "Makena, thank you again for finishing what we needed to do at the Iron Cross for our grandmother," Delta said.

"Yes," said Bayou. "There is nobody else on the planet we would trust with that responsibility more than you, Sis."

Makena nodded as a tear dropped from her cheek. "You got it. This may not be easy, but you're right. I need to complete it for your grandmother, and for me too."

The twins headed out to catch their shuttle to the airport. Makena took her first steps toward Tardajos, just seven miles away.

*****

She was glad to be out of the city, seeing some fields, listening to birds, and embracing the open spaces. Makena walked slowly, feeling her feet, and grateful that they seemed healed.

My mind doesn't stop. It jumps from the twins to Luis, from these Spanish villages to the jerk in high school, and from my parents to my fear. I know I need to face it, almost embrace what I'm afraid of, so I'll confront it and move on. It helps to think about soccer, and how I overcame so many challenges there. Now on the Camino, I'll do what I need to. One step, then a second, then another.

Having eaten a full meal with the twins, Makena didn't make her usual breakfast stop. She sat awhile out in the country, letting the breeze gently caress her face as she let her long tresses wave in the wind. The sun felt wonderful, warming her.

I don't miss the rain.

She had a snack, munching a type of trail mix she'd made from purchases at a shop in Burgos, and washed it down with water, then got up and continued.