55 - Negreira

55

Negreira

Wednesday, July 7 (continued)

Jordan and Makena continued toward Negreira. "I'm excited about Spain's chances tonight," she said. "Especially since you pointed out that Muller, Germany's top scorer, is out with the two yellow cards."

"It hurt Uruguay to not have Suarez," he agreed. "But you never know."

She smiled. "Yes. If all competition went as predicted, there would be no point in ever playing."

"Yeah. You probably had it happen sometimes, when you played a more highly ranked opponent, wondering if today was the day that your best might be enough."

"Sure. That made it fun. Knowing that they might usually beat you, but you had a chance, so go for it."

He nodded.

That's what we're doing, going for it. I wish it were as easy as just saying it. Don't give up.

*****

Luis walked to the pool area and looked around. One pink swimsuit. Not much of one. As he got closer he could see the star-shaped opening. He thought, "Dios Mio! Quite a body. She doesn't need my services as a trainer" He stood next to her and said in English, "Excuse me. Is your name Greta?"

"Yes. You are Luis?" He nodded. "Would you like to join me?" He sat down on the chaise lounge next to hers. She propped herself on her elbows and looked at his thick, powerful body. "Are you a weightlifter?"

"I lift often, but I am a personal trainer in gyms. What do you do, Greta?"

"I work for a hotel." She remembered that the letters said nothing about her family owning any hotel. She would keep that to herself for now.

"And for exercise? You look more fit than any hotel employee I have ever seen." He smiled, his white teeth contrasting with his dark skin.

"I am addicted to yoga," she said. "Relaxing by the pool is my reward after each day's workout."

"So this is an unusual way to meet someone, no?"

She smiled in agreement.

"I came here from Seattle to see if I could convince Makena to come back to me. Now I am not sure we will even talk again."

"I have something similar going on with Jordan. I am hoping to meet with him still," she said.

"I guess they stay in their albergue at least one more night. There is a chance for both of us."

"I know. I checked, and they have paid through tomorrow. Perhaps I will see him later. I am not sure."

"There is that big restaurant with televisions near their albergue. Makena was a soccer player. Maybe they will wish to watch the World Cup game tonight?"

"Jordan also played soccer. I would imagine he will want to see Spain play against my Germany."

"You're German and speak Spanish?"

She nodded.

Luis paused a moment, looking reflective. "Would you like to join me for dinner there? If they show up, we could go to their table at the same time, so you could talk to Jordan while I engage Makena. Split them up?"

Greta took a moment to consider, then broke into a big smile. She sat up, turned over, and faced him. "Good idea. Shall I meet you in the lobby of this hotel at seven?" She thought it was better than being alone.