25 - House of Shells

25

House of Shells

Tuesday, June 8

Jordan woke up feeling better. There was a little less swelling in his leg and it hadn't bothered him much last night, so he got an almost uninterrupted sleep.

Needed that rest. I hope I'm solving this problem. I don't want to end up taking buses to Santiago. I have another ten days before I return to the Camino. Stay optimistic.

He took the next anti-inflammatory pill, iced his leg, elevated it, wrote in his journal, then got ready for class. Downstairs he ate breakfast and downed a cafe con leche. Grace was ready early again, and they walked together to class.

"How's your leg? You look like you're moving better."

"It has improved. Gonna keep taking care of it. Not ready to join you at the gym yet, but I have time. I can't change what has already happened, but Manuel and you helped. I must have drunk ten liters yesterday!"

Grace laughed. "Been able to use the restroom?"

"I'm just about sleeping in there." Jordan smiled. "It's a good problem, now that I understand it all."

She smiled as well. "A lo hecho pecho."

"What?"

"In a prior class, the professor said it's an idiom meaning 'Don't cry over spilled milk.' I try not to."

"I get it. What is done is closed or over. Yeah, he's right. I don't want my energy drained by the past."

"I had an excellent professor of world history at my university in Edinburgh. She gave examples of repeated historical patterns. For example, she pointed out that Europe's compromises with Hitler were like Asian capitulation to Japan before WWII. Or how America's decision to aid war-torn nations after WWII worked so much better than its isolation after WWI. She said that we learn from the past to understand the present and prepare for the future."

Jordan grinned, nodding. "And you have learned from her past class as well, in a way that will help you in your future, I think. So maybe, Grace MacGowan, you are wiser than you look!"

She punched him lightly on the shoulder and smiled.

*****

During class, Luis Santana reminded them of the class rule about conversation, that they were to use only the Spanish language. It was one of his ways to help them improve. He got the students talking a little about their backgrounds, so they all got to know each other better. Then he worked on their vocabulary by using a brief overview of Spain's colonial past as a comparison to talk about the concept of trust. "My country did not always keep its promises with Mexico, as an example, so Diego's homeland did not always believe us."

"This is true," said Diego. "Fortunately, Professor Santana communicates with me differently than his nation did with mine many centuries ago. So I trust him. And I keep my promises to him, or else I would lose my job."

The students laughed and Professor Santana smiled, then turned back to the class. "Can any of you think of similar examples about trust?"

Jordan volunteered, continuing in Spanish, "In the 1700s, my former country, England, changed agreements with my new country, America, leading to its frustration and desire for independence. I also think this is true in relationships. I believe all should do exactly what they tell their partners they will. It's okay to change beliefs or actions, but they should communicate such immediately, so there are no unpleasant surprises."