42 - Iron Cross

42

Iron Cross

Sunday, June 27

Makena and Jordan had slept in late the day before, so they agreed they could handle an early start. The sunrise was at their backs as they headed west out of Astorga, the varied hues lighting the clouds in the sky lifted their spirits. Birds sang to them as they left the city. Though they would climb 2100 feet in the next 15 miles, each looked forward to the challenge.

"Feels good to get back out near fields and trees again," Jordan said.

"Yes. The air's cleaner. We feel the breeze and see the changing sky like paint on a fresh canvas."

They both wore windbreakers and rain pants for warmth until the sun heated up the day. Makena had a ponytail threaded through the back of her baseball cap. Hers had a W on it, while his hat read 'Cal'."

Jordan smiled and said, "Rather than thinking of Washington and Berkeley as rivals, I propose that we become a united front across Spain, representing our Pacific 12 Athletic Conference together from the USA."

"Sounds good to me. Unless we read about our two schools competing in anything against each other."

"Deal. In a head-to-head competition, we are rivals." She smiled. They walked for a few minutes, with a couple of roosters calling to them. Each could hear their footstrikes and the tapping of Jordan's trekking poles.

"How do you like walking with bastones?" she asked.

"At first, not at all. I preferred having my hands free. But gradually I forgot about that. I read that the arms can take as much as 25% of the weight off the legs if the poles are used properly. They help in particular going downhill when legs can take a beating. I had some bastones break and my knees swelled up without them. So overall I'm glad to have found a pair that work well. Reminds me of pushing with them as a skier.."

"Makes sense as a long-term plan. Weird. We're young but we'll have these bodies for a long time."

"Yeah. Don't want to depend on eventual hip replacements or mechanical knees. Some of the medical advances are amazing, but I'd like to keep the original parts as long as I can."

She nodded. "So we plan to go to the village of Foncebadon, shower, then walk the short distance to the top of the mountain for our ceremony?"

"Yeah. 15 miles there, and about one more after, but that way we can take our time at the Iron Cross, not feeling like we need to be anywhere else. I remember that there's no restaurant in Foncebadon, just a store, but we can buy stuff for a picnic dinner afterward, and watch the light change as we sit outdoors on the albergue's porch. It worked well the last time I did this. There's a big view back down to this valley. It's beautiful."

"Glad you know about it. I'm a little apprehensive, not about the artifact for my friends' grandmother, but instead, about the goodbye I'll say to my ex."

"Other than believing it's gotta be something like the death of my wife, I can't imagine how that will be for you. I won't pry, but if you want to talk about it, I'm willing to listen."

"I'll think about that. I'm not changing the subject because this is related. My friend gave me your book, and I just finished reading it before I met you." She smiled. "Your protagonist sounds like someone who has been consistently faithful, and so in love with his woman that he would never cheat. Was it based on you?"

"Another Camino conversation. Good. Yeah, it's a lot about me. Easier to write about someone you know. I can imagine being angry or upset with one's lover. It has happened. My wife and I had arguments sometimes. But I believe that if it ever gets to the place where someone wants to turn to a different lover, he or she should talk it out first, and either solve the problems or break up. Before I got together with my wife, I dated some. There was one time when two gals were interested in me. Emotionally, I couldn't handle it. Not where my heart was involved. It's how I am. I can't divide my feelings that way. Some men can do so, but not me."