29 - The Rain in Spain

29

The Rain in Spain

Friday, June 11

The trio took their time before leaving Granon in the morning, removing the newspaper from their boots. Their shoes were no longer soaked, but still damp. Each taped the sore spots on their feet to prevent aggravating their current blisters, and to try to keep from getting new ones. The first few steps brought pain.

"It's like when we warmed up the day after a game when we still hurt. We knew our body would function. We just had to get moving. I'm gonna have a talk with my toes," said Makena. "My blisters won't win. They are allowed to exist but will have to take a back seat today." She scowled at her feet. "Tough luck!"

Delta and Bayou smiled. They had similar conversations with their maladies. All three walked slowly for a bit, then began to stride more smoothly. Each ignored their anguish and covered much ground. The sisterhood began talking about happier things. The service the night before had a profound and positive effect on each. They were feeling part of the greater community on the Camino.

It rained some, but only off and on. They had walked about five miles when they reached a small restaurant that opened at nine, the usual start time in Spain, as so many ate dinner late. They each ordered their usual breakfast. Makena welcomed the heat of the sweet coffee and knew that the protein from the egg and potato combination would sustain her.

My blisters persist, but I can ignore them. There's still nowhere I'd rather be right now than walking this path with my friends.

The sky was clearing when they finished nearly 14 miles and arrived in Tosantos. This albergue was smaller than the one in Granon but they were early enough, and it had space for the three of them. Most of the other people staying there were among those they had seen last night. They followed their usual routine. Makena finished quickly and used the pay computer to send a progress report to her parents. They had posted a newsy message for her. All was well and they sent her their love.

I'm lucky to have such a supportive family. I want a relationship like theirs someday.

She rested and read a little, sipping some tea near the kitchen. Giuliano, the Italian macho man from the night before, came in and sat down next to her. "Bongiorno. How was your hike today?"

"Good, thanks. I enjoyed talking with my friends."

Without unwanted attention from the likes of you.

"I heard last night that you have been through a difficult relationship. If we walk together tomorrow, you will find that I am someone you can trust. A woman such as yourself should not be without a man. This is not natural. I have walked this Camino before. I am sure I could teach you much about Spain's culture, and you will find I am entertaining. "

You are also too full of yourself.

"No thank you. I just wish to hike and talk only with my friends."

Giuliano tried other topics for a while, then moved off, at least for now. He figured that he just needed to persist. She would change. He was irresistible.

Makena read some, learning more about Spain's history. She slowly sipped her tea, feeling how much happier her toes were in the open sandals as if they were thanking her. Then the irritating Swiss gent sat down.

"Ah, Makena. Bonjour. It is good to see you today. What are you reading?" asked Jean-Paul.

She told him.

"C'est bon. The long history of Spain. Of course, this is a subject on which I am an expert. I suggest that we trek together from here to Santiago. This would be good for both of us. There is so much for me to share with you about this country. You will find that my personal history is almost as fascinating. What time would you like to start tomorrow? I will meet you by the door then, and we will share all of our histories as we walk."