63 - Family

63

Family

Tuesday, July 13 (evening)

While Jordan slept, Makena sent emails to his family, following up on her website message. Then she phoned his sister first. She was still in Nantucket, Massachusetts. It was already after nine in the morning there.

"Hello? This is Harbor Moorings. How may I help you?"

"Hi, is this Kate, Jordan's sister?"

"Yes. Is this Makena?"

"Yes. I guess you got my message. I'm sorry to be calling about this, but I knew you'd want to know."

"Thank you, Makena. It's important we get the news, but also reassuring. Can you give me the details?"

Makena did. She talked for some time about what happened, the positives of the situation, but also that he was under observation and sleeping right now. She felt Jordan could talk with family tomorrow, but probably not at all today. Kate understood.

"Makena, my father is an early riser. I'll call him now. It's after six in California. Can we do a conference call and talk with the doctor this afternoon? Would 4:30 your time work?"

"Let's plan on it, Kate. I'll check with Dr. Gonzalez and confirm or change the time by email."

"Perfect. How's everything else going between you and my brother?"

"I love him, Kate. I hate to admit it, but it took the scare of seeing him hurt for me to know that I was totally in love, and I told him so just a little while ago. And, fortunately for me, he said he felt the same way."

"Oh, I'm so glad. He had been emailing me all about you. I kept telling him to be patient and not push. But I knew a week ago that he loved you. Oriana and I both wanted him to move on, and it sounds like you two are such a good fit. I'm excited for you both."

Makena laughed. "Thanks! At least I know that his falling in love with me wasn't just from a temporary knock on the head earlier today. Your brother is a prize and I'm lucky. It took time to grow to trust him, but I have gotten past my loss, and I'm ready for Jordan now.."

"That's wonderful. I'm so happy that happened and grateful that you're there for him right now. Talk to you later. Bye, Makena."

"Yes. Talk soon, Kate."

*****

Mateo stopped by while Jordan and Makena ate dinner. "Your family sounded concerned during our conference call, but Makena and I reassured them. I agreed that you could call them tomorrow."

"Thanks, Mateo," said Jordan. "Getting some sleep helped. My head feels better, but it still throbs."

"Yeah, it's wise to keep you here overnight." Mateo checked Jordan's vitals. "All good. You are one healthy guy. Makena, don't let him become a useless invalid, or claim that you need to do everything for him."

She laughed.

He continued, "I don't expect problems with your recovery, but brain injuries can be tricky. However, in your case, it may have knocked some sense into you. I understand you told Makena you love her."

Jordan laughed. "Yes, apparently while talking in my sleep. I knew how I felt a week ago but didn't want to scare her. She has been through a lot in the last couple of months."

Makena smiled.

"So the accident has been positive in a way, no?"

"I wish there could have been a more peaceful way to get me to tell Jordan I love him." She shrugged.