50 - Melide

50

Melide

Sunday, July 4

"Happy birthday." Makena looked sleepy, which was to be expected since she had just opened her eyes.

"Mmmm. What did you say?"

"Happy birthday...America," said Jordan.

She smiled. "So you don't think of it as the British colonies?"

He laughed. "No. We moved to the US because my Dad was sure he wanted to stick with producing wine on a vineyard in California forever, so he set about becoming a citizen as soon as possible. Got my sister and me through it in a few years, too. The process goes faster when you have a business with local employees and are helping the economy. He didn't want to experience the colonists' taxation without representation!"

"Okay. I'm glad to be sharing this birthday with another American. I'll be with you soon."

Jordan split as she got ready, but fantasized.

How would she look wearing less or nothing? Quite a body.

They had slept in some because of the soccer marathon for which they'd chosen to stay up late. The sun was already burning the mist off by the time they started hiking, but there were intermittent clouds, so the day didn't heat up too quickly. The trail wound through woodlands, up and down hills, but nothing too strenuous. They had only walked about five miles when they reached the town of Palas de Rei after nine. It had about three thousand people, so there were plenty of places open for their usual desired breakfast. There were several other patrons, mostly locals, and everyone was excited about their national soccer team's victory.

The American pair earned some respect from the Spaniards with thoughtful and knowledgeable comments about the game and Spain's squad. Jordan looked at Makena and said, "It's a delight to be with someone who is so into soccer. I can't fault your prep via the University of Washington in that area."

"Know that the reverse teasing goes without saying, but I enjoy discussing the game with you as well, in addition to our other shared passions. And it's exciting for Spain. They've never been to the finals."

He nodded. "Germany is tough, but so is Espana. I love the way Spain controls the time of possession with their pass accuracy. Are you up for staying two nights in Santiago? It would be a relaxed way to do what we need, attend the Pilgrims Mass at noon the day we arrive, and stay up for the late Netherlands-Uruguay match that night. We also have to get our commemorative Compostela certificate from the Camino office, and there's plenty to see in the city. It's the Spain match the following night that will be so exciting."

Makena said, "I would like that. It would give us time to say goodbye before you head north to the coast on the Camino Ingles." She wished her time with him wasn't ending.

"I've been thinking about that," said Jordan. "I walked the Camino Finisterre last time as a way to finish the Camino Frances going west. But would you mind if I shared it again with you? My Arab protagonist would have joined with the Basque gal and continued together on that path. I could finish my research, and to be honest, I'd prefer to spend a little more time with you."

What will Makena say?

"I'm glad you suggested that. Yes, I'd like to hang out together with you longer myself." She exhaled and then grinned, delighted.

Jordan smiled, relieved. "It's three days to Finisterre, but four if we go to Muxia first."

"Let's do both. The World Cup Championship is played on the eleventh. That's when we would reach Finisterre, and I would love to watch it there together with you. With luck, we'll be able to cheer on Spain."